Texas Hunting Forum

Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts???

Posted By: 5Redman8

Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/20/18 10:34 PM

Looking to check these off my bucket list and I am wondering if there is a low fence ranch that would have both Aoudad and Nilgai.
Posted By: don k

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/20/18 10:43 PM

One Arid and one semi tropical. Interesting.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/20/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
One Arid and one semi tropical. Interesting.

And neither native to Texas but they are both here....interesting
Posted By: JOBK

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/21/18 04:11 AM

Try Kayote Outfitters ...free range Nilgai
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/21/18 11:21 AM

I've heard of a few pockets of aoudad in stx but no clue if they have Nilgai in the same area. You would probably have a better shot just using an outfitter that has multiple properties. The West Texas aoudad hunt is hard to beat
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/21/18 03:40 PM

I highly doubt you will have both on the same property that are truly free range.
If you want to get the full experience and check it off your list right hunt an Aoudad in
west Texas and your Nilgai in south Texas. Just make the drive to both areas.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/22/18 06:24 PM

This question probably has been asked many times with as many different answers but is Aoudad fit to eat? I have heard yes and no, if your answer is no please say why. Thanks Daniel

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/23/18 12:05 PM

Just about everything is fit to eat. Look at what buzzards eat. Some like menudo. Some like tripas. Put enough seasoning on an old boot and cook it long enough an it would probably be fit to eat. Same way with Aoudad. Some people like it and some don't. Why do you think sausage was invented. To make lesser cuts and qualities of meat more edible.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/23/18 07:56 PM

don k, thanks. I think you answer my question! Daniel

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/23/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
don k, thanks. I think you answer my question! Daniel
I am always here to help.
Posted By: zbot

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/24/18 02:16 AM

We eat aoudad just fine....you have to cook it the right way.
Posted By: Barasingha

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 04/25/18 03:25 AM

We have eaten several aoudad; usually pulled pork style. If it is too strong, try soaking in buttermilk overnight before cooking.
Posted By: BluffGruff

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 05/08/18 02:58 PM

This question probably has been asked many times with as many different answers but is Aoudad fit to eat? I have heard yes and no, if your answer is no please say why. Thanks Daniel

We shot aoudad last fall on one of the WTHO properties. We got it quartered and packed out quick since the temperatures were high 90s. Iced it and took it to a processor the next day, and it tasted excellent. I would compare it to commercial lamb, and I have fed it to some very discriminating non-game-eating palates and it changed their minds about wild game. Just my experience, but I think people who don't like certain game either let it spoil, or don't know how to cook.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 05/08/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BluffGruff

We shot aoudad last fall on one of the WTHO properties. We got it quartered and packed out quick since the temperatures were high 90s. Iced it and took it to a processor the next day, and it tasted excellent. I would compare it to commercial lamb, and I have fed it to some very discriminating non-game-eating palates and it changed their minds about wild game. Just my experience, but I think people who don't like certain game either let it spoil, or don't know how to cook.

^ This. Killed a aoudad ewe last year and processed her just like I would a deer. Made into pan sausage w/ 20% pork - we cook it just like deer and the taste variation isn't any different than WT to Sika, Fallow, Axis, etc.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Any LF Aoudad and Nilgai Hunts??? - 05/08/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: BluffGruff

^ This. Killed a aoudad ewe last year and processed her just like I would a deer. Made into pan sausage w/ 20% pork - we cook it just like deer and the taste variation isn't any different than WT to Sika, Fallow, Axis, etc.

Ive heard the ewes are much better
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum