Texas Hunting Forum

Elk questions

Posted By: LaComaRanch

Elk questions - 12/09/17 02:31 AM

Hello,

Could you please share what you think the average price for a bull elk hunt is? What about a cow? I understand size matters a lot...
Posted By: sleepyfish

Re: Elk questions - 12/09/17 04:06 AM

1000 to 1500 bucks for a cow, bulls less than 5x5 probably 2500 , 5x5 bulls 3500, small 6x6 4500 and up
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Elk questions - 12/09/17 03:09 PM

Depends where you try to hunt! Bull elk hunts average around $4000 in the 6 primary elk hunting states; you can expect as much as $10,000 in prime areas with 8x8 trophies!
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Elk questions - 12/09/17 03:23 PM

The price range can be all over the place.
My experience is this:

Guided hunt on private land for 300+ bull will run $6k+ in any western state.
If you start getting into the prime areas and bull quality approaches 330 -350 as an average,the prices typically go higher, closer to $8k and up.
Hunting native reservations becomes crazy $10k and waaaaay up.

A lot depends on where, when, with who the hunt takes place and trophy quality for the area.
Lots of variables but I would budget $6k at minimum for a trophy hunt.
"Just wanna shoot a bull" hunts can be had for much less.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Elk questions - 12/10/17 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RHutch
The price range can be all over the place.
My experience is this:

Guided hunt on private land for 300+ bull will run $6k+ in any western state.
If you start getting into the prime areas and bull quality approaches 330 -350 as an average,the prices typically go higher, closer to $8k and up.
Hunting native reservations becomes crazy $10k and waaaaay up.

A lot depends on where, when, with who the hunt takes place and trophy quality for the area.
Lots of variables but I would budget $6k at minimum for a trophy hunt.
"Just wanna shoot a bull" hunts can be had for much less.

Must agree here and I have noticed that some of the better outfitters have increased their prices. Need to figure in the cost of the license too, in most cases.
I have hunted with outfitters in 'open range' ranches and have had success. I have also hunted on a large 'Preserve'. There were many options at that ranch. It was 5000 acres in some pretty good mountains. There were 'management' bulls there that were very decent and the price was pretty good.

g
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum