Texas Hunting Forum

Aoudad Meat

Posted By: jdd912

Aoudad Meat - 10/31/17 01:01 AM

I just wanted some opinions on aoudad meat. Taste? Recipes? How to cook it? Etc.... thanks in advance,
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Aoudad Meat - 10/31/17 02:39 PM

I have had it and it's not bad. I shot a big ram a few years back and couldn't see throwing all the meat out. I had the backstraps butterflied and tenderized and they were good on the grill. The hams I had made into sausage and they were good too. I would try it for sure.
Posted By: zbot

Re: Aoudad Meat - 10/31/17 04:04 PM

Just had some last night.

So far we've made grilled backstrap, chile negro, guisado, ground meat tacos, chili, and salad with it. All been great so far! Will not hesitate to harvest another one for meat if given the chance.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Aoudad Meat - 10/31/17 04:53 PM

I have killed 8 Aoudad or Barbary sheep where I hunt them, I have killed 6 ewes and 2 rams and all have been good. The rams were young, but 2 of the ewes were older with horns over 20 inches. I know some people say that it is barf but I don't agree. grill
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Aoudad Meat - 10/31/17 06:02 PM

I always heard it was nasty until my good buddy smoked a young ewe and offered me a sample. It tasted very good, albeit a bit tougher than say whitetail, but very tasty nonetheless. I took one of his ewes and made it into pan sausage (80% aoudad, 20% pork) and we cook it like any other ground meat. It's fantastic!
Posted By: VirginiaHunter

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/03/17 12:08 AM

My father shot a ram five years ago. We didn't know anything about them so before we processed him, we sliced off some backstrap, tenderized it (beat the heck out of it), and fried it up. Very good taste, but tougher than leather. It was near impossible to chew. We decided to grind all of it into burger. I believe we ran it through the grinder twice. Everybody who ate that burger commented on how good it was. All the packages were marked with an "A". Dad told my niece, who will not eat game meat, that the "A" stood for angus. She was always asking my mom to cook some of those angus burgers. I personally would love to fill my freezer with it.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/03/17 01:02 AM

I never was a fan....I had my last one smoked and made into dried sausage...it was pretty good.

Ed
Posted By: jaustin

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/03/17 02:04 AM

Good flavor but like others have said a bit on the tough side.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/04/17 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: jaustin

aim
Agreed, Justin. But they are tougher than you expect.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/04/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Matpk
Originally Posted By: jaustin

aim
Agreed, Justin. But they are tougher than you expect.

Yes they are. Steaks have to be triple tenderized and even then they’re not tender. You really have to either grind them up or smoke them till they fall apart (and that takes a while). Meat is awesome flavored though. Make you throw whitetail in the garbage
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/05/17 09:32 PM

Sounds like it might be good in a crock pot
Posted By: Erny

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/05/17 10:09 PM

I killed a large rams a few years ago. The meat was mild flavored, but was tough as shoe leather. I found that grinding it is the best way to go.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Aoudad Meat - 11/06/17 11:34 AM

I wish I had some in the crock pot right now! food texas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum