Texas Hunting Forum

Feed pen dilemma...

Posted By: Schpanky

Feed pen dilemma... - 08/23/17 02:56 PM

I have pics of black buck on my lease...however, now I understand they won't jump a fence to get into the pen. Anyone have any ideas on how to let the black buck in while keeping the cows out? Not worried about hogs....yet.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/23/17 03:09 PM

Make a spot where he can go under
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/23/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
Make a spot where he can go under

I agree, cut out a small section of panel and string some barbed wire between the posts leaving a good size gap at the bottom.

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/23/17 03:30 PM

...so create an opening(s) like this and then stretch barbed wire across the top of the openings?

How big does the opening/gap need to be?

would this work as well?...not really excited about cutting my panels up but if it works i'll do it....

Posted By: DSO

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/23/17 08:36 PM

Agree. They go thru or under but rarely go over
Posted By: rickym

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/26/17 01:25 PM

That cut out in the panel will work, I'd leave one more box at the top. Probably only needs to be 18-24" tall. Put your cut out on a hinge so you can close the door whenever you'd like.

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/30/17 02:04 PM

...I'm thinking I might just put in a hog trap door...prop it open for the black buck...and set it on occasion for trapping some pigs....multi-tasking grin
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/30/17 03:31 PM

We buy the 36 inch panels and raise them up off the ground. It keeps cattle from jumping over and it allows fawns to go under, or in your case blackbuck.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Feed pen dilemma... - 08/30/17 04:04 PM

Why do you want to feed the blackbuck? They stay fat as footballs on grass. I fence mine out on purpose.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum