Texas Hunting Forum

Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville

Posted By: Da' Hitman

Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/02/17 06:34 AM

33"antlers with 26" spread. Shot with 30.06 at 83 yards on Saturday 7/28

27" antlers with 19" spread. Shot with 30.06 at 360 yards on Sunday 7/29

Had a great weekend and the Axis did not disappoint!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/02/17 03:33 PM

Pics not showing

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/03/17 03:56 AM

Ok, hopefully this works for the pic. 33"antlers with 26" spread. Shot with 30.06 at 83 yards on Saturday 7/28. As I was driving on to my son's property I saw 4 Axis right on his fenceline less than 500 yards from his house. I made the drive down from Fort Worth wearing a blue tee and shorts so I had to hurry up and dig out some jeans and a camo shirt and of course my gun. I changed and scooted out as quick as I could and thankfully all 4 were still milling around his fenceline. I set up for the shot but had to wait for what seemed like forever until I could get a clean shooting alley between the trees. It was cool to watch for so long since it gave me the opportunity to see this buck stand on his hind legs to eat leaves from the trees. That was a first for me. He never did present a broadside shot so I shot through the base of his neck (bullet exited just in front of his left rear hip). Long story short, I was in town less than 1 hour and had already dropped the biggest Axis buck I have ever shot.

Boiled the skull for a full two days but its raeady to hang on my wall now

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/03/17 04:06 AM

27" antlers with 19" spread. Shot with 30.06 at 360 yards on Sunday 7/29. This was my second buck of the weekend and although he's not quite as impressive as the one I dropped the day before, This one had me pumped because of the shot itself. I had watched this buck with two others far across the field and was hoping they would move their way towards me but they never did. They actually started working away from me as they grazed so I squared on the shot which turned out to be the longest shot I have ever taken while hunting. He never even stumbled. He fell immediately after my shot. Super happy with this shot.
Posted By: DSO

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/03/17 10:44 PM

Great job. Nice bucks
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/03/17 11:21 PM

up
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/03/17 11:29 PM

Both nice bucks. Forrest
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Axis Hunt this weekend outside of Kerrville - 08/11/17 08:50 PM

Wackin and stackin em