Texas Hunting Forum

question about gemsbok

Posted By: the lab

question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 09:55 PM

I have wanted to hunt/harvest a gemsbok for as long as I can remember. I know the best bet is to hunt them in Africa (sadly not an option at this time, or for the foreseeable future). I know these are a spendy animal to hunt in Texas and once I figure in airfare, car rental ect it has just always been unachievable. That said I see photos "fairly" regularly of people that were able to take animals with broken horn/horns. My questions is does anyone have recommendations for gemsbok in general and does anyone have a approximate cost on a broken horn gemsbok hunt? Thanks for any info
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 10:00 PM

Mulie Mike usually has one for New Mexico but not sure what time of year..
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 10:03 PM

Where are you located? There are some draw hunts for gemsbok with the TPWD and the most well-known is the federal hunt at White Sands in New Mexico. Odds might be long, but I'd start putting in right now, if you want one bad.

Maybe an outfitter will chime in here soon on something they might have.
Posted By: Erny

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 10:16 PM

I hunted them with Mulie Mike in New Mexico a few years ago. They are free ranging Gemsbock that are on private ranches adjoins military bases. The hunt was great and the terrain very similar to gemsboks native desert habit in Southern Africa. Mikes company is West Texas Hunt Organization. He has always treated me right.

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 10:30 PM

This is the Gemsbock I got with Mike.
Posted By: the lab

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/05/16 10:37 PM

I live in Washington state so I will be driving or flying depending on time and state
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 02:40 AM

Interesting shot placement there, Erny. Beautiful Gemsbock.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 02:48 AM

That's near the same spot I hit my gemsbok...

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Interesting shot placement there, Erny. Beautiful Gemsbock.

I hit him several times. That shot was with him quartering away at 400+ yards and was the one that put him down. Yes I do get more comments on the shot placement than the Gemsbock. They are tough beautiful animals!! Oh and the meat is wounderful tablefare, I would drive so you could easily being the meat home.
Posted By: WBT

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 02:50 AM

I suggest looking for a hunt in New Mexico. You can also apply for the hunt in Texas, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 03:27 AM

Nice dead one.

To the OP, I have not seen any advertisement for cull gemsbok, as I don't think there are many culls to be had. BBD84 shot one a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure where. Just saw the pics on here. Forister Exotics is one of my favorite ranches but I dunno if he has any-cullable gemsbok. Ox Hunting Ranch and Star S Ranch are also good options, based on what I've read.
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 03:49 AM

They taste super good, and I shot one many years ago in Africa. That's about all I got for you.

Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 12:56 PM

They can be had for 5K in texas, got my 42.5 inch with pope bros, best meat you''ll ever eat.
food

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 01:01 PM

OR, you can contact Mike at Chalk Creek they have been selling cull Oryx at a very fair price, GREAT people to hunt with!
okiehuntr
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 03:23 PM

Pope Brothers is a good suggestion. If you end up spending in the $3k-4k range plus a plane ticket, you're not as far from Africa as you may think.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 05:37 PM

Between my dad, my son and myself we have killed 6 Gemsbok. All in New Mexico the biggest being a 40 inch bull that my dad took at 360 yards with his 06. 4 were on range WSMR and 2 off range. It is not as easy a hunt as it used to be, both to draw and and get one. But I would suggest putting in for the on range hunt as your first choice then off range as your second and third choice. The off range hunts are one month long and the easiest months to draw are June, July, and August. I hunting for 8 days before I found them off range so it can be a challenging. Good luck, definitely worth it.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 06:25 PM

I would be sure to price a trip to Africa before you decide. With current exchange rates, Africa is a whole lot cheaper than most people think.
Posted By: Abe77901

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: okiehuntr
OR, you can contact Mike at Chalk Creek they have been selling cull Oryx at a very fair price, GREAT people to hunt with!
okiehuntr

+1, agree

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Abe77901
Originally Posted By: okiehuntr
okiehuntr

+1, agree

I thing the OP is looking for Gemsbok not Scimitar horned oryx. Does Chalk Creek have Gemsbok?
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 08:55 PM

Get drawn in New Mexico and I can help you out.

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/06/16 09:30 PM

I have never gotten any answers back for " Cull Gemsbok", I really think operations keep them for themselves and I don't blame them.
okiehuntr
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/07/16 12:35 AM

I have taken a cull gemsbok in Texas... If that's what you want to call it.

I will say this regarding hunting on a budget, with some looking and having the money ready when a deal arises you can jump on some unbelievable hunting deals. I have taken 18 different exotic species and most would die if they knew what I paid for them. I have never been on an exotic hunt that cost more than $1500 for a single species and most have been under $1k. Deals are out there you just need to look.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/07/16 01:15 PM

I've killed about a dozen gemsbok in Africa, and it is my favorite meat on the face of the earth. I've tried to find cull/meat hunts here in TX and NM with no luck. I'd gladly pay a fee for a meat hunt if anyone can provide any leads.

Nice one traviselmore!

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/08/16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: traviselmore

I will say this regarding hunting on a budget, with some looking and having the money ready when a deal arises you can jump on some unbelievable hunting deals. I have taken 18 different exotic species and most would die if they knew what I paid for them. I have never been on an exotic hunt that cost more than $1500 for a single species and most have been under $1k. Deals are out there you just need to look.

Is that a Scimitar Gemsbok cross?? I have seen a lot of Gemsbok and those horns look thin and curved more than a typical Gemsbok. Just curious. nice animal.
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/08/16 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: NMGW
Originally Posted By: traviselmore

Is that a Scimitar Gemsbok cross?? I have seen a lot of Gemsbok and those horns look thin and curved more than a typical Gemsbok. Just curious. nice animal.

Nope, she is 100% gemsbok. Just a very long thinned horned cow. 40" on the unbroken side
Posted By: Buckmarkhunter

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/09/16 02:18 AM

I have have harvested 3 gemsbok in the last 5 years in NM. I was a resident until 2 years ago. I have an outfitter that runs hunts every month on a private ranch that boarders the mislle range. It's an awesome hunt and the meat is great! I don't know if I will do it again as a non Res tag is $1600. Plus $2500 for the hunt it adds up. But what an experience and did I mention the meat. If anyone wants his info let me know. Thanks
Posted By: 7x57

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/11/16 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
I would be sure to price a trip to Africa before you decide. With current exchange rates, Africa is a whole lot cheaper than most people think.

Check africahunting out, they usually have good deals when people cancel on them. As others have said, Africa is more realistic than it has been in quite some time.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: question about gemsbok - 09/12/16 03:57 PM

Agree on the value of hunting Africa, but I want to have some gemsbok meat in the freezer, which is why I asked about gemsbok meat hunts in the first place a few months ago.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum