Texas Hunting Forum

Free range Axis takes dirt nap

Posted By: sparrish8

Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 02:51 AM

Went on my return hunt with PBGSO, the Axis rut was in full swing to say the least. The landowner had been seeing a group of good bucks several times week on a smaller Ranch on the river. So we gave it a shot, 1st evening around 7pm Axis started coming out of the wood work but were on the neighboring property so I patiently waited for them to come across the fenceline. Meanwhile I kept getting glimpses of several different bucks as they would disappear behind mesquite patches or in draws. At one point I could hear several fighting while watching another buck. My biggest worry was trying to focus on the right buck as one was noticeably wider and heavier than the others. As the daylight faded they made their way into a pecan Grove with around 20 smaller bucks and does. They began crossing the fence in a shadowed area around 8:40, 1 buck passed unable to get good shot I continued to wait then this buck stood and looked at my blind for 5 minutes as I fought with myself whether to shoot him or not knowing their was a bigger 1 but also thinking dang that's a good buck. I let the .300 wby. Mag go at around 100 yds, shot a little high and 2 the right as I was aiming at the white patch I could see clearly on his throat, hit his upper throat and come out his jaw, he actually made it 50 yds with an exploded jaw.

He went 35" on 1 side and 34" on the other. Thanks to Josh and Clay for being patient with me as I passed on several mediocre bucks the 1st hunt, their is a bigger, heavier and wider one their that I would love to go back and hunt for again.

Posted By: PBGSO

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 03:00 AM

Congratulations on your free range Axis Buck and as always we really enjoyed having you this past weekend and enjoyed the hunt
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 11:17 AM

Very nicely done! Stud buck. up
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 11:43 AM

Excellent
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 11:49 AM

Great buck. Congratulations.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 12:04 PM

cheers
Posted By: G ranch

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 02:30 PM

Great buck congrats cheers
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 02:33 PM

Great looking buck sir, he's a stud for sure! I'm really looking forward to my free range Axis hunt with team Pope next month! He's going to make a beautiful mount! Baker. cheers
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 03:00 PM

Congrats! Great trophy axis, Clay and company are the best around. texas

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Great looking buck sir, he's a stud for sure! I'm really looking forward to my free range Axis hunt with team Pope next month! He's going to make a beautiful mount! Baker. cheers

Like I said there's a bigger hard horned their
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 04:05 PM

Beautiful trophy buck! Also the .300 Wby magnum is an outstanding cal. What does the outfitter charge to hunt that ranch? texas cowboy

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 05:01 PM

I belive their charging $2750 lodging and meals included, but they have several ranches to hunt.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 05:15 PM

Thanks, sparrish8!
Posted By: PBGSO

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/14/16 06:33 PM

Red Cloud, yes our Summer Axis special price is $2750. This is a 3 day all inclusive hunt which includes all your meals and lodging plus a trophy Axis buck.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/15/16 12:13 PM

Nick buck Steve - congrats sir cheers texas
Posted By: coach20

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/15/16 03:35 PM

cheers
Posted By: Pierce Trophy Hunts

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/15/16 05:48 PM

Congrats Mr. Parrish! That's a fine animal and sounded like a great hunt. I haven't hunted with them yet but I'm sure I will hit them up before too long. My wife has been hitting me up for an axis and I'm probably going to have to give in before too long. Blackbuck is high on her list too
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Free range Axis takes dirt nap - 06/18/16 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: G ranch
Great buck congrats cheers
. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum