Texas Hunting Forum

Bullets for Nilgai

Posted By: Hunter Gatherer

Bullets for Nilgai - 02/27/16 08:48 PM

Fellows, I've probably beaten this subject to death, but I picked up a new rifle the other day and I wanted to ask about 338 bullets. Those of you have have consistently hunted or guided for Nilgai, I wonder what you think of the Hornady Interbond? I can get factory loads for my rifle in 225 grain, and my rifle shoots them pretty well. I could reload, but I always love to have a factory round available just in case.

And not to be rude, but please, no stories about some guy who killed 19 of them with a 223. We're all impressed but I'm specifically wondering about 338's.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/27/16 08:52 PM

My uncle had good luck with Barnes TTSX out of a 30-06, if that helps.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/27/16 10:58 PM

Chital, I appreciate it. I'd love to use a 30-06, but most of the ranches that provide Nilgai hunts require a minimum 300 Win. Mag. This includes all of the popular guides that frequent this site, and several that don't.
Posted By: WI_Hunter

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 01:30 AM

I use Barnes TSX for virtually everything. I've never shot a Nilgai, but in 338, I'd go with an expanding TSX. In a larger caliber, I suspect the Barnes copper solid would be a good choice.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 02:26 AM

Sirroco and dont look back. I have plenty of field experience to back the claim up.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 03:11 AM

Not only do I see great performance from Barnes TSX, but weight retention is nearly 100% and copper is less toxic than lead. For game that I eat, I am concerned about lead fragmentation in the meat. Is this a concern that others have? Scary stuff to me. My apologies if this diverges from the central focus of the question (Nilgai 338 bullets).

http://huntingwithnonlead.org/lead_in_meat.html
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 04:25 AM

I have used Barnes and Berger bullets.

They both did the job.

I was using 338 and 300 rum, 7nm STW

I loved the Berger bullets from
50 yard shots to 1,000 yard shots

Bergers had the knock down I was looking for.

Mind you it is not a meat friendly bullet.

I personally shot 16 Nilgai in 1 week with a 300 rum with 210 Berger and the furthest Nilgai ran 50 yards most dropped within several steps
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 05:38 AM

The Interbond would be a fine choice for Nilgai. Tough bullet with a bonded core. They are very similar in performance to Nosler Accubonds, which I've killed several Nilgai with in .338 WM. 225gr was my choice as well. If your rifle shoots them well I say go for it.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 05:48 AM

TSX or ttsx

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Gatherer
Chital, I appreciate it. I'd love to use a 30-06, but most of the ranches that provide Nilgai hunts require a minimum 300 Win. Mag. This includes all of the popular guides that frequent this site, and several that don't.

I assure you any of the deer calibers is fine with Barnes and I have never heard someone require a .300 win mag minimum. My daughter would thump a nilgai with her 7/08 and 140gr TSX.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 05:52 AM

The 30/06 and 150gr ttsx would be a fine combination on a nilgai
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 12:58 PM

My 7MM whetherby mag 160 accubonds worked for me so I would think any weight inter bond would also
okiehuntr
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/28/16 01:19 PM

The Interbond should be fine. Any bonded or copper bullet out of a 338 should work. I just went through the same thing you are. I settled on the Barnes TTSX out of my 300 Win Mag. The shot was great and we found the bull less than a 100 yards away. The blood trail was almost nonexistent and you couldn't tell the bull was hit while he was running away. From what I have been told, this is pretty normal. Now, I see why 300 is often the minimum. I just bought a 9.3x62 for the next trip. I think you are on the right track with the 338 and bonded bullets.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/29/16 01:20 AM

I have shot a bunch of them years ago. shot placement is key. Use a solid bullet. Caliber is not as important. Some ranches will require more than 7mm etc. Generally if it starts with 3 and ends in magnum you will be fine, however, I have shot one with a 257ai and it killed it no problem.
Posted By: bass101

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 02/29/16 03:20 AM

hornady GMX

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/01/16 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD

I assure you any of the deer calibers is fine with Barnes and I have never heard someone require a .300 win mag minimum. My daughter would thump a nilgai with her 7/08 and 140gr TSX.

If that were only true I'd hunt them with a 270. Wildlife Systems does not allow anything less than a 300 Win Mag. Neither does Lomas Chicas or All Seasons. I'm pretty sure Double Shot Outfitters requires a 300 Win Mag or more but I don't want to speak for them.

If you know of a reputable guide service with a low fenced ranch in South Texas that allows for less than a 300 Winnie, I'd love to know about it and I'm not being a wiseacre I really want to know.

And thanks!
Posted By: Pierce Trophy Hunts

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/01/16 01:21 PM

Our hunts are free range on 10,500 acres of the Yturria Ranch. Up until last year, we would not allow anything less than a .300 win for bulls. Now, due to a number of lost animals and our commitment to make every effort possible not to wound these extremely tough animals, we require no less than a .338 for bulls. We actually provide .338 and .375 guns and ammo at no extra charge for our hunters. Of course, a smaller caliber will kill them no doubt and I have personally killed many with a 30-06 and .300 but when you hunt the number of animals we do year in and year out, we err on the side of caution and go with a bigger bullet due to our respect for the animal.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/01/16 01:31 PM

Bullets are more important than calibers, IMO.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 02:00 AM

I would recommend a interlock or accubond. I shot mine with a 160gr Accubond out of a 7mm.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Bullets are more important than calibers, IMO.
X2

I shot 2 nilgai cow with a 30-06 and a 22-250, respectively.
The first was with the 22. 64gr Power Points right in the face, as she sat in some thick brush. Piled over dead.
The second was at about 80yd with 150gr Fusion. High neck shot. Also piled over dead.

Put a solid, penetrating bullet in the right spot and they don't go anywhere.

Search up Karamojo Bell. He used to use solid bullets out of 275 Rigby, 303, and a couple of other medium bore rifles for culling elephants in Kenya(?). And this man shot well over 800 of them in his years in the British Army.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 07:04 AM

There is a reason why a lot of places require minimum cal requirements and its to increase the clients chances of a clean kill and harvest. Its a double edge though. A lot of people dont shoot magnums well, and i fall in that category too. With that said a lot of calibers can kill lots of animals but a 22 cal is not an adequate caliber. Sure ive shot plenty of hardy game with a 22-6ai and a 75gr sirocco, but its what i had at the time. I love that round and tout its abilities 24/7, but wouldnt be my first choice and especially not a std twist 22-250 and the winny 64gr. Ive let clients use less than desirable calibers one two conditions. First, they understand that if they draw blood and there isnt enough muscle its on them. Lastly, if they tell me they just dont shoot a magnum well but show up with a gnats a$$ accuarte rifle like the 30-06 or 7-08 and the proper bullet for where they will shoot ill work with them,but they always shoot when they get there. Talk to the ranches and explain why you want to use a certain cal and that you assume any responsibility that if it is lacking in muscle and it doesnt do the job its on you.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 02:02 PM

I don't think you would have any complaints with the interbond. Interlock is a different critter and in my mind is something I wouldn't want to use, they tend to come apart easily.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 02:36 PM

7mm Remington Magn with 160gr Nosler Partitions. Great combo for Nilgai or anything else on the NA continent.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/02/16 11:41 PM

Thanks friends. I appreciate your thoughts. Good hunting to all of you.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/03/16 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge
With that said a lot of calibers can kill lots of animals but a 22 cal is not an adequate caliber. Sure ive shot plenty of hardy game with a 22-6ai and a 75gr sirocco, but its what i had at the time. I love that round and tout its abilities 24/7, but wouldnt be my first choice and especially not a std twist 22-250 and the winny 64gr.
If this is directed to my comment, it was not my intent to advertise the 22 caliber round as a round to be used on nilgai. The only reason that was in there was to emphasize shot placement. Find a bullet that your gun likes and penetrates well, and practice practice practice. That obviously doesn't mean get the smallest gun in your armory and piss off a nilgai.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/03/16 05:51 AM

I have always been a fan of the Swift A-Frame. I really like the 250 gr in my Dakota 330 mag. It should work well out of a 338 Mag.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/04/16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD

If that were only true I'd hunt them with a 270. Wildlife Systems does not allow anything less than a 300 Win Mag. Neither does Lomas Chicas or All Seasons. I'm pretty sure Double Shot Outfitters requires a 300 Win Mag or more but I don't want to speak for them.

If you know of a reputable guide service with a low fenced ranch in South Texas that allows for less than a 300 Winnie, I'd love to know about it and I'm not being a wiseacre I really want to know.

And thanks!

Push the issue tell them no .270 no hunt it is your money and you pay if you draw blood. Comical they think that for nilgai and you can't shoot much bigger and tougher critters in Africa with less than .270. Smh. If I had an outfitter tell me that I would simply show them the ignorance of their beliefs and spend my money elsewhere.
Posted By: Pierce Trophy Hunts

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/07/16 12:20 AM

This bullet was recovered out of a Nilgai this weekend. Quartering shot, went in front shoulder and bullet was beneath hide at the opposite hind quarter. This is a Barnes TSX 270 grain from a .375 H and H which is what I typically shoot and our guides like this bullet for a follow up shot if needed. Every one of these that we find typically look just like this. Very good performing bullet.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/07/16 02:57 PM

I tried the Barns bullets in my .338 awhile ago. I found them to be very picky on powder and cleaning to get any consistency with groups. Even going to extremes with cleaning, I was never able to get a one inch group with them. I figured it wasn't a long range rifle, and took it to Namibia for plains game. Every animal went down, but all my shots where under 100 yards. When we found the bullets, they had all opened up and stayed together, but not very much. I think the sheer size of the bullet, the power of it, and the close range allowed me to get my animals instead of the design of the bullet. Mine didn't open up anywhere close to what this picture shows.

I've since gone to Federal Premium ammo with a huge increase in accuracy and damage to what I've shot. I dropped an elk at close to 500 yards after my buddy wounded it with his 7mag. Lucky shot on my part. The bull was running broadside and I'm not that great of a shot. I wouldn't have even taken the shot it if it wasn't wounded. A couple other elk also dropped perfectly using that ammo, along with a caribou in Alaska.

Re: Bullets for Nilgai - 03/10/16 02:45 PM

Just shot a Nilgai cow yesterday with a 286 grain Barnes TSX from a 9.3x62. Hit too high and back than I wanted, but did plenty of damage to one lung. Pass through shot. She dropped after 30 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum