Texas Hunting Forum

Hunt ideas for my son

Posted By: JTS

Hunt ideas for my son - 02/18/16 04:45 PM

My son will be a senior in high school next year and I told him I would take him on a hunt. He is so busy in school with sports the only time that I can for sure will be during Christmas break. I have a ranch that we hunt whitetail, hogs, coyotes, turkey, dove, ducks here at home.

I will let him choose what he wants to hunt, but I would like to give him some options that may be in our price range. I would be OK with the hunt being $3500 or less with lodging included.

He is really active so I am also thinking he might like an audad or something similar which we could spot and stalk hunt in west texas. I don't know if that's in our price range though.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/18/16 05:59 PM

An Aoudad hunt would be a great hunt in the winter as would a big summer time Axis buck. You could make both happen for that price as well. I wouldn't try hunting in the trans Pecos area during the summer but you could hunt the Axis while he's out of school. Good Luck with your choice!!
Posted By: Pierce Trophy Hunts

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/18/16 06:13 PM

A Nilgai Bull hunt would be a great option and in your price range. All free range, spot and stalk, very exciting animal to hunt, and success rate is phenomenal. Would love to help.
www.piercetrophyhunts.com
piercetrophyhunts@ yahoo.com
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 12:36 AM

X2 for aoudad hunt!
Posted By: texastrophyhunter63

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 01:26 AM

I have looked at hunts for quite some time at hunts. I think your number one hunt for an Aoudad in West Texas with the scenery and hike would be a hunt with Mulie Mike. You can look up Aoudad hunts on here and quite a few would be his. MulieMike just posted on here of recent hunts and the scenery looks awesome. In your price range. Look in this section and outfitters section.
Good Luck!

I have a friend who also guides for Gemsbok in that price range 3500 on a west Texas ranch 20,000 acres. Great hunt also!!
Posted By: HansAg

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 01:35 AM

How comfortable is he shooting at 200 yards? rifle

Aoudad would be a great hunt
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 01:50 AM

The Gemsbok hunt sounds like the ticket. Kill something you can enjoy eating.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 02:38 AM

He is a great shot we have a 850 yard range on our ranch.
Posted By: Wallhanger

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 03:18 AM

Gemsbok beautiful animal on wall and table
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 03:55 AM

If he likes working for it, the aoudad hunt is the way to go. You can still find them for $3500 in far west texas but prices are definitely on the rise. $3500 is on the cheap side these days.

Your requirement of Christmas break may be an issue. Check out the nilgai for that time frame. Nilgai are a blast to chase and you could probably shoot a bull and a cow for that price.
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 04:21 AM

I have talked to several ranchers and guides in west texas that have good luck aoudad hunting that time of the year (nothing like september/october rut hunting) but still good hunting
i guess maybe the aoudad are hitting feeders with the temperatures getting low and winter coming on
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Hunt ideas for my son - 02/19/16 06:29 AM

I've only them once and it was during the rut in October. When I did it, the outfitters were recommending late Sept and October. I'm not saying you can't get one in December but it seemed like October was the prime time where I hunted. I have heard they are more apt to come to feed when it's really cold.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum