Texas Hunting Forum

West Texas Ibex or Markhor

Posted By: Sevens

West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 01/31/16 01:41 AM

Just a hypothetical question here. I know aoudad have done well in West Texas and Bezoar ibex have an established population in New Mexico. Assuming that they weren't hunted or shot for awhile, could something like a Markhor or Nubian ibex population be establish and survive free range in the West Texas area?
Posted By: don k

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 01/31/16 01:31 PM

Good question. I may be wrong but it seems to me that Nubian Ibex are harder to raise than the Persian types. At least for me. I don't know anything about Markhor but that must also be the case as you don't see many around. West Texas can only provide for a certain amount of animals. Maybe the abundance of Aoudad is taking care of the CC and any other type of Sheep or Goat could not compete. I also don't know how the predators would be on them. I know coyotes are a problem with mine here.
Posted By: zbot

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 01/31/16 09:21 PM

Markhor would be awesome! I know of a few that have been shot free range, but don't think there is a big population of them to be found.
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 02/01/16 05:11 AM

Markhor would thrive in Texas Terrain. I know several have been killed free range.

I have hunted for them out next to the Indian head ranch where there was some wild. But only seen them from a mile away or so.

They are very hardy and wild so I don't believe the predators would be an issue.

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 02/01/16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Kimber1911
Markhor would thrive in Texas Terrain. I know several have been killed free range.

I have hunted for them out next to the Indian head ranch where there was some wild. But only seen them from a mile away or so.

They are very hardy and wild so I don't believe the predators would be an issue.

I knew a guy that shot a decent one in that area and just let it lay after a pic. He didn't want to mess with a goat, he said confused2 realmad

I asked if I could have the head and he still said no because it was too far to get to. I about wanted to punch the guy and he didn't believe me when I told him what they are worth.

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 02/01/16 08:30 AM

There is also this other guy over on TBH that had a band of Ronda ibex billies on his trail cam in that same area.
Posted By: don k

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 02/01/16 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kimber1911

The kids are the ones the predators get. Just about all animals leave their offspring to go and eat or drink. What i seen with the Nubians is that especially the younger mothers will forget where they left the kids. There must be a reason that Aoudad thrive in West Texas and others that you would think they would don't.
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: West Texas Ibex or Markhor - 02/02/16 01:53 AM

i have no doubt ibex would survive out there. i am sure there there would be losses from different things...but the terrain and overall weather would make it possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum