Texas Hunting Forum

Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip...

Posted By: traviselmore

Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/23/16 07:44 PM

Headed down from North Carolina in about a week to go after Waterbuck and Iranian Red Sheep. I will keep you guys posted as the hunt gets here.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/23/16 08:50 PM

Good luck and please post pics and story of your hunt.
Posted By: TB338

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/23/16 08:52 PM

Who you hunting with ?

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/24/16 01:12 AM

Chris Clemons. The ranch is in Kerrville.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/24/16 01:35 AM

Good luck sir, take lots of photos if you can!
Posted By: bass101

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/25/16 11:32 PM

Bow or rifle? Can you eat waterbuck as I heard no?

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 12:08 AM

Waterbuck have a stinky oily hide so keep the meat hair free and you might have a chance. I sampled some from a Texas killed animal and it wasn't very good. That being said I'd love to hunt one, good luck on your hunt!
Posted By: bass101

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 12:18 AM

Thats what I heard about the meat but they are a beautiful animal trophy for sure
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 12:19 AM

Ive killed a couple waterbuck in Africa. You are right...they weren't very good sick

They are cool though!

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 12:56 AM

Thanks guys. I have read the same thing about keeping the hide off the meat so we will make sure to use caution.
I will be using a rifle. We are hunting one specific bull which has a broken horn and has been causing some trouble with some other Bulls. I got an incredible deal on the hunt that I couldn't pass up. Here is a pic of the bull from this past weekend.

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 01:32 AM

I think they are awesome looking. Here's a photo I took a few years back near Uvalde!
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/26/16 02:02 AM

The waterbuck that I have killed in Africa were very good to eat, the skinners were very carful in skinning. Forrest
Posted By: SavageHunter

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/27/16 04:07 AM

I got this guy a couple years ago hunting with my son in South Africa.
My favorite animal from my first trip. Had 31 in horns.
They are very strong animals.
Oh, and the guides told us the meat was just awful.

Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/27/16 05:46 AM

very nice savage hunter
that is one big waterbuck

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/27/16 11:16 AM

Now that's a great Waterbuck! Well done sir.
Posted By: buck wild

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/27/16 03:10 PM

yeah those waterbucks can be very aggressive. I got a good deal on one in Africa that had got into a sable breeding pasture and killed a couple of young sable bulls. That rancher wanted him gone ASAP !!

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 01:34 PM

First morning in Kerrville. I set up a pop up blind this morning over a half acre opening. Looking for red sheep this morning and using my bow, so I'm going to settle in and see what develops.
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 03:59 PM

Good Luck from another NC hunter! Hunting a red sheep with a bow sounds like a great way to spend a friday!
Keep us posted

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 04:11 PM

Thanks. So far there is not much going on. A couple blackbuck does came by at 75 yards and that's the activity of the morning so far. I'm going to sit tight a bit longer.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 05:07 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 06:13 PM

Good Luck!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 08:55 PM

Got warm on you. A treat here this time of year. But may not enhance your hunting.
Posted By: TravisMears.com

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/29/16 09:46 PM

Good Luck Travis. Shed some blood like we know you know how to do.

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/30/16 01:09 AM

Well... I ended up sitting until 11 with no action. Went and grabbed a quick bite to eat and got back in the blind around 12:30. Had a young ram, a ewe, and baby come in around 5:15 and saw a big ram with his heram around 100 yards out, going away from me. Other than that the evening was calm.

Tomorrow I'm going to a new ranch and will be hunting water buck with my "longbow" aka .270wsm. So hopefully I will have some pics tomorrow.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/30/16 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: traviselmore
Well... I ended up sitting until 11 with no action. Went and grabbed a quick bite to eat and got back in the blind around 12:30. Had a young ram, a ewe, and baby come in around 5:15 and saw a big ram with his heram around 100 yards out, going away from me. Other than that the evening was calm.

Tomorrow I'm going to a new ranch and will be hunting water buck with my "longbow" aka .270wsm. So hopefully I will have some pics tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow bud

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/30/16 02:22 PM

Well you get a waterbuck?

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 01:02 AM

Today was one for the books. We started out in a box stand over looking a 20-30 acre clearing. A herd of bull and cow elk came in and left shortly there after. After a while we got down and decided to cover some ground on the ranch and see what we could find. About an hour later we happened in on a couple gemsbok feeding near a river bottom. One was an old broken horned cow and the other a nice bull. They moved off and after some discussing we decided to go back the way the gemsbok headed and try for the cow. 3 hours later we found the two gemsbok,plus several more. Quickly we set up the sticks and took the shot. A quick follow up shot and she was down. A great trophy and an unexpected surprise. She measure 39" on her good side.

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 01:21 AM

After we got the gemsbok skinned and the meat taken care of, we went back out to look for the waterbuck bull I had originally come for. We had seen 10-12 waterbuck cows during the morning trek but no bulls and not the broken horned bull. Driving in we came up on a large field and saw a group of 15-18 cows and young in the field. We climbed up the nearby hill and looking over the top saw our bull. He saw us too and started moving off. He stopped, looked back, and I took the shot. He made it 30 yards up the hill and then came tumbling back down. Another great trophy down.

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 01:24 AM

Congrats. You hit a broke horn grand slam today!!!!!!

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 02:03 AM

Very cool, Gemsbok and Waterbuck are two trophys on my bucket list. Congrats and thanks for sharing your photos! Baker
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 02:32 AM

Cool beans!

Gemsbok are one of my all time favorites, both to hunt, and to eat!
Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 03:08 AM

Very cool, congrats!
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 03:56 AM

Nice!!!!!
Posted By: don k

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 01:22 PM

Looks like you did good.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Waterbuck and Red Sheep Trip... - 01/31/16 05:05 PM

congrats..thanks for sharing the pics and the story