Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck?

Posted By: MDMORROW

Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 04:03 PM

I was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt a ranch in Kimble county and we are primarily looking for axis. It is low fence and they say they usually have good numbers on the property. They also see blackbuck occasionally. The place is just shy of a thousand acres with lots of terrain change. They have several feeders and box blinds set out at about a hundred yards. I will be rifle hunting with my custom 7mm-08 with fairly hot hand loads and feel like I can do an ethical shot inside 400 yards or so. I'm still above 2000 FPS at 500 yards so plenty of power. Much past that I feel like is more for a magnum caliber.

I'm headed down in a week and have never hunted axis or blackbuck before. Anyone have any tips or advice they would care to offer up? Thanks!!
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 04:18 PM

Aim in center of shoulder on axis with broadside shot. Vitals are further forward than a whitetail.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 04:20 PM

Much appreciated. The 7-08 should be enough gun don't you think?
Posted By: therock

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnguide83
Aim in center of shoulder on axis with broadside shot. Vitals are further forward than a whitetail.

And lower. Not familiar with the 7mm08 loads but I have found it is hard to have much of a blood trail on an axis . Maybe because of location of vitals? Shot an axis doe yesterday. She ran about 50 yards and was down. Tried to back track her to where I shot her and couldn't. Hit her in front of shoulder angling in and came out opposite side behind shoulder. Gutted her and she was blowed up inside.
Very tough animals for their size. IMO
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnguide83

^^^^^^^^

This.

And your 7-08 would be nearly ideal I should think. We shot a couple with 7x57s and 150 NBTs...kinda the same ballistics....
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 08:34 PM

Be ready, take aim and shoot fairly quickly..they tend to be real wary and don't like to stand around for long. +1 on the shoulder. If he runs, well, you know.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 08:55 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the tips folks
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/10/16 11:34 PM

got a bacon wrapped axis backstrap in the oven now!!

Great eating, be sure to post pics after your hunt!! chef
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 01:03 AM

Kimble Co is prime axis country. Where abouts will you be hunting? I center punch the front shoulder just about every time I shoot one. 7mm08 will work fine. Use whatever load you use on WT.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 01:08 AM

As far as tips. I would look at lots of pics of axis on the hoof to better help judge size if you are hunting alone and haven't hunted them before. A 25" axis looks HUGE if you haven't seen one before live. Also, groups of 3 or more are often led by a doe by several yards. If a loan doe walks out be patient. A big buck may be a few minutes behind her.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
As far as tips. I would look at lots of pics of axis on the hoof to better help judge size if you are hunting alone and haven't hunted them before. A 25" axis looks HUGE if you haven't seen one before live. Also, groups of 3 or more are often led by a doe by several yards. If a loan doe walks out be patient. A big buck may be a few minutes behind her.

X2!!! Be ready for some of the best wild meat out there.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

This is some good advise ^^^^^^^^ And your 7mm-08 will work just fine!

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 03:17 PM

Very much appreciate the info guys. Don't recall the name of the ranch offhand but it's a buddies place and its I think about 15 miles to the east of Junction give or take. Hopefully if all goes well I'll have a picture or two to share next weekend.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 03:20 PM

I'd also set out a few bales of Alfalfa if your planning to sit in a blind.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 08:33 PM

Definitely on the alfalfa. They have a serious sweet tooth, so some sweet horse feed (with molasses) works great, too.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 09:00 PM

There went both of my best kept secrets...
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/11/16 10:00 PM

The secret to good shot on axis isn't pick a spot...it's pick the right spot!

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/12/16 06:05 PM

This is your friend when axis hunting.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/12/16 08:02 PM

Oh Yeah, chaffhaye, works wonders. texas
Posted By: TAT

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/12/16 09:39 PM

Shoot as stated above. Axis are some tough animals, but man are they good to eat.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/21/16 10:09 PM

Well hunt turned out great. Took a real nice axis doe with a head shot from about 150 yards out and also took a 3 year old white tail spike. Thanks for the tips on axis. They're certainly spooky but it all worked out.

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/21/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Well hunt turned out great. Took a real nice axis doe with a head shot from about 150 yards out and also took a 3 year old white tail spike. Thanks for the tips on axis. They're certainly spooky but it all worked out.

cheers
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Anyone give me the basics on Axis and Blackbuck? - 01/21/16 10:37 PM

Too late to this post for any tips, but congrats!
worthless
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum