Texas Hunting Forum

Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad

Posted By: bradtex

Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/13/15 11:38 PM

Using a 270, should I go with 130 or 150 grain weight? Thanks
Posted By: Erny

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/13/15 11:58 PM

Which ever you rifle shoots most accurately. If they are both the same as far as accuracy I would go with a well constructed 150 grain bullet.
Posted By: Raypo

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/14/15 12:52 AM

Whatever the gun likes better
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/14/15 04:14 PM

Split then difference and go 140 either accubond or partion or A frame
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/14/15 10:56 PM

Whatever your guns shoots best at 200 to 400 yards. And make sure you break his shoulder.
They are very tough and a lung shot without breaking the shoulder will cause you a lot of anguish.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/14/15 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Whatever your guns shoots best at 200 to 400 yards. And make sure you break his shoulder.
They are very tough and a lung shot without breaking the shoulder will cause you a lot of anguish.

So hitting them in the lungs is a no-go?
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 12:24 AM

Solid penetrating bullet through the shoulder
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: huntwest

So hitting them in the lungs is a no-go?

Chances are high that a simple lung shot will have you searching some of the roughest country in Texas for your sheep and a big chance you won't find it.
I have only been twice once with Mulie Mike and they are ultra tough animals.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
Solid penetrating bullet through the shoulder

X2.

Never use ballistic tips or anything that fragments on purpose. Watched a man shoot one with a weatherby 300mag at 80 yards and only get one lung with a ballistic tip. His wife's weatherby 270 only pizzed hers off the next day. 195 yard perfect shoulder shot never made it to vitals. Ram was looking to fight the mosquito that stung him.
Posted By: colonel62

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 09:12 PM

Just killed a big ram the beginning of November. Used a 168 grain Berger VLD out of my 300 win mag. He was 200 yards standing quartering to me. Put it on the point of the shoulder and melted him. He was dead before he hit the ground.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 09:37 PM

Federal has a 150 grain Nosler Partition in the red box line of ammo. I have used them in the past and they performed well.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/15/15 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Federal has a 150 grain Nosler Partition in the red box line of ammo. I have used them in the past and they performed well.

I like the Nosler Partitions.... reliable and good penetration and weight retention.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/16/15 12:45 AM

I like the Nosler Partitions.... reliable and good penetration and weight retention. [/quote]

X2 on the Nosler Partitions I have killed a half dozen Aoudad with them, excellent penetration and retention.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/16/15 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: NMGW
I like the Nosler Partitions.... reliable and good penetration and weight retention.

X2 on the Nosler Partitions I have killed a half dozen Aoudad with them, excellent penetration and retention. [/quote]

X3 on the nosler partitions. In my opinion the best hunting bullet made.
Posted By: JDPoulsen

Re: Bullet weight recommendation for Aoudad - 12/19/15 04:25 AM

I killed a big Aoudad Ram recently with Rusty Kimbrell on his Hill Country Ranch near Mountain Home. I shot him with my 25-06 using a Barnes 100 grain TTSX bullet. Made a 40 yard shot. Hit him right behind the shoulder and he dropped in his tracks!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum