Texas Hunting Forum

Red Stag Trophy Classification

Posted By: Denton44

Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 02:37 AM

Can anyone give me an idea or post a pic or two on what a 150 class Stag would look like? Asking about the antlers. Thks.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:11 AM

There are several scoring systems for red deer. For the basic CIC medal levels you can simply search on "gold medal red stag" or "bronze medal red stag" on the Bing/Google image search. Red stag racks are so much bigger that WT that I'd expect a 150" stag to be quite small. I'm no expert and perhaps one of the professionals will drop by and answer your question.

http://www.nzhuntinginfo.com/trophy-scoring.html
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:25 AM

These two Red Stags from NZ were high silver at the time. High Silver was 320-340 SCI. Low Silver was 300-320. Gold started at 340 and up.
The first one scored 336 SCI and the second one was 324 SCI.

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:29 AM

It occurred to me that you might be referring to Sika stags. If you look at the bottom of the linked page, they've got some example trophies.

http://www.sikahunting.co.nz/guided-hunts/guided-sika-hunts/
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:30 AM

Title to this thread is "Red Stag Trophy Classification"

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:33 AM

Oops! I read the original post, but not the title of the thread. Besides, you should know better than to listen to me.

wink

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 03:42 AM

I was thinking they might be about like this. But bigger bodied as they are well fed on the Texas ranches.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/20/15 04:02 AM

150" seems very small, a 250" stag would be a management stag and should go for around 2k-2500 at least thats what ive seen

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 12:55 AM

Thanks for the input. Even though I'm gettin up in years, I'm fairly new to hunting. Could you point me in a direction that I could find some of these 250" stags for that kind of price? I talked to a guy last year that shot a nice stag with a huge rack. The hunt was $1700 I think he said. Weighed about 400lbs, but only ended up with 40lbs of meat. I'd rather have a healthy one in the 300lb range that's not so old. Still get a mount and lots of good meat. Can you PM me or share here where I might find these 250"s for that price? Thanks.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 01:19 AM

If that guy shot a 400 pound stag and ended up with only 40lbs of meat someone had a heck of a BBQ with his meat. The rule of thumb is 30% of the live weight in boneless meat. Unless it is shot to pieces. So a 400 pound animal should yield 120 pounds of boneless.

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 02:11 AM

Yes, I know the math. He said the processor called him to come down after skinning as he couldn't believe it himself. He was there to witness the butchering. Something wasn't right. My guess is it was way old and bone and gristle and way shy of the 400. Just looked 400 when shot. Had a big rack on the pic I saw. Just not alot of points. Still trying to get an idea of a 150" looks like.
Posted By: Bobbya08

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 04:05 AM

I killed a 250" stag in October and I can tell you that I got well over 100lbs of meat from him. I don't know many places that you could shoot a 150" stag.

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 04:52 AM

This ranch offers them. Just curious if it's worth the asking prices. Want to know what a 150" would weigh and look like before I book something. Seriously, info searching here.
http://www.redstagranch.net/#!red-stag-hunts/c1tl3

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 05:01 AM

Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 05:32 AM

Red stag antlers can be configured in a million different ways. This one would probably be in the 150 range though.

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 07:11 AM

I think you might want to watch this board and shop a bit. There are some amazing deals on this board and in the Outfitters and Guides section, if you're patient and keep your cash ready to go. Nothing against the site to which you linked; for all I know they're terrific.

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 08:06 PM

Will do. Patience is good advice. Thks. Also, thks for the pic post. Gives me an idea when trying to set something up down the road. Probably save up some cash for something bigger.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/21/15 08:30 PM

If your patient and keep your eye out, you can find a great deal especially outside of whitetail season. I to was looking for a Red Stag a while back and found a screaming deal on a management bull for less than $1000. rifle
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Red Stag Trophy Classification - 11/24/15 01:14 AM

Chalk creek exotics had some management bulls, talk to Mike their.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum