Texas Hunting Forum

Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy)

Posted By: the lab

Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 09:00 PM

Just returned from our 3rd annual hunt with my friend and owner of Double K Outfitters Kelly Bounds. This was by far our biggest group and Going into it I was a little stressed that with so many people in our group we may have a hard time getting animals to cooperate. That was not the issue.

We arrived at 4pm on Sunday and made quick work of unpacking. After a little paperwork and some speedy introductions we loaded up and headed to blinds. I knew we would see some animals on day one despite the heat. My wife was a little to tired from the early flight so I was joined by my good friend Buster Best, who had drove up from Franklin Tx to join us. As I said we arrived late and did not have much time before we heard the feeder go off. Animals were moving here and there with not much attention to the feeder. We had a blind over water and I felt that would serve us well with the heat.

It was not long till I felt Buster tap my shoulder. I looked out his window, and seen a beautiful axis buck coming up from the lake bed. We didn't have a ton of time so I went right to my scope for a good look. Once I felt "he was for me" I waited for a shot. He was making his way to brush to disappear and I took it. I felt he was hit hard (as did Buster) but he did not go down. He ran about 50 yards and started to walk. I was on him as he was going away and I seen him WAG HIS TAIL! I panicked and assumed I missed, I took a 2nd shot (not a good one). He was a just over 200yds now and it was again a hit, but he reacted strangely as he ran out of sight. We went up and started to search, after a short track we found my buck. My 1st shot was perfect and I would have probably watched him lay down had I not panicked. Apparently if you shoot an axis buck (even one that has been hit hard) just above the "twig and berries" they will run off. Not my proudest shot, but the end result was a beautiful 29" axis.

After a few photos I had asked if Buster would be willing to take care of my buck and allow me back to the blind and wait for that "magic hour". He agreed and parted ways. I told him to just give a quick drive by when they were headed out on the side by side. They did and the wait was on.
Now I was alone and watching a few small animals come in to feed, and water. about 45 minutes before dark I seen a stunning chocolate fallow buck step out at 250yds. He managed to stay in my sight for 20 minutes. I really wanted to NOT shoot a chocolate as I had a nice one on the wall. Luckily I managed to hold off. I heard 2 more shots and knew someone had something. Just then a beautiful white fallow came into view. I readied myself and waited to see if he would present a shot. He made it in close (about 75 yards). I had a chance to look and make sure he was something that would make me happy. Once I knew he was I took a heavy quartering away shot. It was perfect and he went down where he stood. I was content to drink a beer and relax for the rest of our trip and help with others.
That did not work out.

The 2 shots were Tyler Phillips taking a beautiful red Stag. Plus Dennis Gift took an awesome spotted fallow right at dark. Not a bad way to start a 3 day hunt.
The next morning I went to the blind with my amazing wife. It was slow and we were both having trouble keeping our eyes open (dealing with the 2 hour time difference still wink emoticon and maybe a few cold beers from the night before). Dee (my wife) opens her eyes and sees a beautiful axis buck at 300yds. She has not hunted in the entire 16 years we have been together. Pair that with the fact she had never shot this borrowed rifle (we had only expected her to shoot a hog or 2). I made he comfortable and readied both rifles in hopes of a follow up, if need be. The buck (who I assume looked to be somewhere around 50 inches, to Dee) came int to 115 yards. I told her to wait for the shot. He presented a perfect broadside shot and she squeezed the trigger on the 6.5 creedmore (that I would be buying later that day wink emoticon ) She made a perfect shot. I looked over seeing tears in her eyes. She thought she missed. The buck went down 20 yards away in plain sight. It it a beautiful 26" axis and I could not be more proud of her or the buck.

When it was all said and done, there were 2 fallow taken, 2 axis taken a great aoudad ram, a beautiful blackbuck and several hogs. It was a fantastic trip spent with loved ones and friends. If you are looking for a wonderful adventure that wont break the bank, contact Kelly and check out Double K Outfitters on Facebook. You wont regret it!

[img][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m497/thelab1/Double%20K%20year%20344_zpsf5eiluo9.jpg[/img][/img]

[img:left][/img]

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 09:03 PM

cheers

Cool old town also.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 10:03 PM

cheers
Posted By: Temple

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 10:26 PM

Congrats on some very fine trophies!!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 11:07 PM

Looks like great weekend with friends, thats what its all about.

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/08/15 11:47 PM

I missed 1
Posted By: TXSIGNGUY

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 01:37 AM

up food
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 03:39 AM

looks like you guys had a great time....congrats
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 04:02 AM

Funtastic slinger

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 04:43 AM

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 05:10 AM

Thats a veey nice fallow. Congrats on the successful hunt.
Posted By: Guadalupe Outfitters

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/09/15 07:38 AM

Congrats to all! Lots of smiles... Super trophies and full freezers!
Diane

Re: Just got back from Kosse Tx and a great hunt (pic heavy) - 10/13/15 11:13 PM

Thank you for all of the kind words. This really was an amazing time spent with great friends and my beautiful wife. It truly helped to heal the soul for us both and allowed come back to work refreshed and ready to take on the day to day grind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum