Texas Hunting Forum

Elk rut in Texas

Posted By: rob valle

Elk rut in Texas - 09/16/15 10:08 PM

I have a question for those of you familiar with elk in the Texas Hill Country. Will they rut at the same time as the elk in New Mexico or Colorado? I have a small place my friend lets me hunt on near Medina and recently they saw a small bull, two spikes, and a cow near the feeders. He told me last year they had game cam pictures of twelve at one time! I know that right now the bulls are bugling like crazy in Colorado……I was thinking about heading up there this week and trying some cow calls to see if they would come in. Does anyone know for sure? The ranch is only 60 acres low fence and the elk apparently are free ranging between the ranches. I know they are also free range in the Leakey area right up the road. Thanks!
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/16/15 10:12 PM

They will usually start with the full moon in October out in west Texas but I can't speak about hill country bulls. Good Luck with your hunt
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/16/15 10:36 PM

up Good luck with your hunt. Hope you post some photos...
Posted By: rbw1

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/16/15 11:20 PM

Usually latter part of September into October.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/17/15 02:10 PM

You might want to try giving one of the drive through animal parks a call to see if their elk have started bugling. I know it's a big attraction when it happens and they are pretty open about sharing that information hoping you will come visit them
Posted By: rbw1

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/18/15 06:56 PM

Went my elk ranch in Fred today and they are bugleing like crazy.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/18/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rbw1
Went my elk ranch in Fred today and they are bugleing like crazy.

That's what I've been waiting to hear! Thank you!
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Elk rut in Texas - 09/22/15 02:43 AM

Rutting now in far west Texas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum