Texas Hunting Forum

Raising Exotics

Posted By: txbobcat

Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 12:13 PM

What pen sizes are ideal for the smaller exotics (blackbuck, axis, etc). 5 acres?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 12:15 PM

A lot will depend on where you get them from...large ranch, LF ranch or smaller breeding pen operation. Also the cover inside the pen and the traffic around the pen will greatly effect what you can do. I have seen smaller breeding pens with them do fine. I have also seen the exotics so wild they are hard to find in very large pastures.
Posted By: don k

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
A lot will depend on where you get them from...large ranch, LF ranch or smaller breeding pen operation. Also the cover inside the pen and the traffic around the pen will greatly effect what you can do. I have seen smaller breeding pens with them do fine. I have also seen the exotics so wild they are hard to find in very large pastures.
This is very true. Also what animal you plan to raise in a pen must have considerable value when sold. Raising in a pen means that 100% of what they eat is fed by you at considerable cost and time. And like Ranchman said if it is going to be pen raised it best be semi tame. Other wise it will either kill itself or get out.

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
This is very true. Also what animal you plan to raise in a pen must have considerable value when sold. Raising in a pen means that 100% of what they eat is fed by you at considerable cost and time. And like Ranchman said if it is going to be pen raised it best be semi tame. Other wise it will either kill itself or get out.

Looking at sticking with sheep/goat types. Red, Urial, Ibex, etc.
Posted By: don k

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Originally Posted By: don k

Looking at sticking with sheep/goat types. Red, Urial, Ibex, etc.
Be especially careful with raising Mouflon, Red or Urial. They don't tame down like the Corsican types do and they will hurt you if you don't watch out. Good luck with whatever you try.

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 07:50 PM

I know a man who has Reds, Urials, Mouflon and Blackbuck in smaller pens. He has done it for 10+ yrs now. He has good stock also.

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 07:55 PM

I'll holler at you stx when I get some fence up.

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 09:19 PM

cheers
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Raising Exotics - 07/15/15 11:16 PM

I raise Moulfon in pens. I agree with what all have said. I have Ibex hybrids that are in a low fence larger pasture but they are the most tame and come running to a bucket of feed. Most of them are born in the pens and I can hand feed them.

My Moulfon are in separate pens, about 3-5 acres each with 3 ac in between. I run my sheep into a chute that packs them in single file. Then we rope their horns and drag them to a gate that pins their head down while we grab them. Don't take them head on. If they get a step they will jump or charge and hurt you. I would rate the danger factor as the same as cattle. If you are prepared and have the equipment, the safer it is on you and your animals. I havn't hurt any sheep so far. But we have gotten a few bruises.lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum