Texas Hunting Forum

What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting

Posted By: EcKo sHoT

What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/01/15 03:01 PM

I am looking to buy some land near Rocksprings. I have never owned land in the area and looking to make the right decision the first time when buying. What area around Rocksprings is a good area for Axis (North, South, East, and West)? Any place i buy will have a well so water will not be a problem. If you can give me an idea of what area is best and what to look for i would be greatly appreciative.

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/01/15 06:44 PM

I have seen some great Axis on the Rock Springs highway headed toward Sonora so just west of town. Mainly around the A&M land. I also hunt south and north of town and anywhere that has good water you will have good numbers of Axis.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/01/15 07:22 PM

We are technically in Junction but not too far from RS. The area north of RS all the way up to I-10 and West to Roosevelt is loaded with axis.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/01/15 07:25 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^, and as you can see some of them are very nice!!!!!
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/02/15 05:04 PM

We are east of Rocksprings. Have plenty of them. Main thing that will hold them on the property will be water.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/02/15 10:28 PM

what does land sell for out there?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/02/15 11:13 PM

You can still get land for about $1500/acre near RS, goes up as you go north. Our neighbor's place is listed at $2750/acre but is only 100 acres.
Posted By: EcKo sHoT

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/07/15 05:16 PM

Are there any areas around Rocksprings i should not look? How is the area between Campwood and 674?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: What Area For Low Fence Axis Hunting - 07/07/15 06:43 PM

Ecko, the problem in that area is that you can get stuck on a small property with small neighbors that shoot it out very quickly. They are breaking up ranches into smaller parcels of 50-100 acres and these properties are typically bought by folks that are trying to minimize cash and maximize hunting. So you get 10 small neighbors, that each bring several hunters, buddies, family, cousins, etc. and everybody shoots something.

Even though the axis roam, they quickly learn to avoid properties where they are always getting shot at.

Pretty soon, you end up with a property that is nothing but "hot rocks and cedar" and has little wildlife and the hunting sucks. Then they go up for sale even cheaper.

I looked very long and hard in that area - there ARE some very good properties for sale, but there even more properties to stay away from.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum