Texas Hunting Forum

Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters

Posted By: TxHunter80

Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/24/15 09:07 PM

It's been a few weeks since I got back from my hunt with Double Shot and wanted to give you guys a rundown of the hunt. I met up with Adam and Cody midday on Sunday and we headed to the ranch. After unpacking, we corned various places the axis tend to frequent. It was very warm and I didn't really expect to see much that first afternoon. However, we turned a corner and there was a group of axis, blackbuck, and whitetail that were already out feeding. There was a great buck in the group. He is the one in velvet in the background of the pic. Adam estimated him at 32-33". "If he is good enough for the last day, he is good enough for the first day" was heavy on my mind. Adam told me that he thought we could do better. I was pretty surprised by this because that was a really good buck. As we were discussing the dilemma, my buck strolled out. We all studied him for a few minutes. His body size was making his horns look smaller than they actually were. When the 2 bucks got next to each other, it was obvious that this new buck was definitely taller and much more mature. We decided he was the one. As soon as I raised my rifle, he bolted into the brush. After a few very tense minutes of him staring at us through the brush, he came back out. The rest is history.

He ended up pushing 300lbs live weight. It took all 3 of us to load him. There is no camera magic in the pic. I am right up next to him. He was a pig! The largest axis form was not big enough so the taxidermist will have to build it up to fit the cape. The old guy had 3 worn down teeth left. I couldn't be happier with him.

Overall, I highly recommend Adam and Cody. They are both great guys and will go the extra mile to make sure you have a great hunt. The accommodations and the food were both top notch. That particular ranch is a very special place. To say that it has some diverse habitat, is an understatement. We saw tons of game, including a larger axis on the last evening. I let their processor process my axis. True to his word, it was already processed when I was leaving on Tuesday. I came home with a 110 quart cooler full of frozen, vacuum sealed meat. You just can't beat that. While there, I was bitten pretty bad by the nilgai bug. The pics Adam continues to send haven't helped. I will definitely be back this winter for the nilgai rut.
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/24/15 09:47 PM

Awesome trophy congrats.
Posted By: coach20

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/24/15 10:01 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 12:00 AM

That is a toad! Congrats!
cheers
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 01:35 AM

up texas
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 04:33 AM

Congratulations. That is a mighty fine buck.
Posted By: Cavemanwildlife

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 01:07 PM

nice job
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 04:40 PM

cheers
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 04:46 PM

I like that one better than a lot of bigger Axis because it's symetrical and has nice mass. A lot of bigger bucks seem a little thin for their size.
Posted By: glasshole

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 05/25/15 08:22 PM

beautiful animal. congratulations on your hunt
Posted By: Double Shot Outfitters

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 06/02/15 05:20 PM

Thanks for the write up!! Was a blast having you down! See you for Nilgai sometime soon!
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Great Axis Hunt With Double Shot Outfitters - 06/02/15 07:35 PM

Awesome Trophy. Adam and his team do a great job.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum