Texas Hunting Forum

eland hunt and question

Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 01:26 PM

hey yall. I've got a chance to an old 30-34" eland bull. my question is on the meat. I know eland is supposed to be good eating but at that size and age, anyone know how the meat quality would be?

we ground up almost all our game meat into hamburger. I've been told an old animal like that still might be gamey bc of its age. anyone know? I wouldn't mind having some steaks done but I'm guessing it would be tough.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 01:58 PM

When I shot mine in South Africa, we went to another ranch where the owner of the ranch kept the meat. They said it was the very best and I was only allowed to keep the hide and skull. I've hunted Africa twice and so far have never eaten eland meat.

Eddie
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 02:13 PM

I had some Eland meat that a neighbor in Uvalde shared with me. It was from a large bull that had broken his hip and was put down. I don't know how old the bull was but he looked fully mature in the photos I saw of him. The hamburger meat was excellent. Good Luck with your hunt!! Baker
Posted By: dawaba

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 02:23 PM

My African eland was a mature bull, and it was possibly the tastiest wild game I've ever eaten. We were able to stalk it and make the shot with the bull unaware we were present, so it wasn't alarmed or running, which I believe can be responsible for much of the gaminess in wild meat.

An example: My Dall sheep was dropped in its tracks with no fuss, and the meat was delicious. On the other hand, my Rocky Mnt ram was the result of a fubar event that involved several shots and an exhausting chase that was entirely my fault. Even the tenderloins from that ram were tough and gamey.

I would say that you should fry up the tenderloins from your eland right away. If they're tasty, then go ahead and keep most or all of the meat.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 02:32 PM

Eland... banana clap flehan grill partyon555 cheerleader need I say more.
Posted By: the lab

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/13/15 08:14 PM

congratulations on your amazing opportunity. Can't wait to see some photos.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/14/15 01:49 AM

I've taken 2 mature bulls both in Africa. Of course I did not eat the whole Eland but what I have tasted was Great food
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/14/15 01:59 AM

thanks everyoen
Posted By: Matpk

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/14/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rbw1
Eland... banana clap flehan grill partyon555 cheerleader need I say more.

X2...X2..X2...!!!!
Posted By: Ruff

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/14/15 09:26 PM

I shot an older Eland cow.
Meat was fine.
X1000 better than white tail

Ruff
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/19/15 04:50 AM

The bull I shot was quite old (probably 7-8 at least)....and the meat was phenomenal to say the least (steaks, roasts, and burger).

I will gladly dispose of any Eland meat you wish to donate to the Wade Abadie fund grin
Posted By: Guadalupe Outfitters

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/19/15 12:37 PM

What ^^^^^ said! It is the best! Any help you need just let me know!
Diane
Posted By: Flags

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/19/15 04:44 PM

One of the best game meats there is. I've eaten it if Africa and in TX. Never got a bad cut off an eland regardless of age or sex of the beast.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/19/15 08:35 PM

I've heard great things about it, as everyone said earlier
rifle
Posted By: Matpk

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/21/15 08:44 PM

food clap food
Eland .. Eland...Eland
My sympathies go with Nilgai/Axis.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/24/15 12:51 PM

Like said already it's amazing.. The one I shot in Africa was ancient and was still very tasty. DO NOT grind up all that meat or you will have missed out
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/24/15 02:50 PM

The meat is good, just don't overcook it.
Posted By: therancher

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/25/15 01:59 PM

It's poison! Don't eat it! Ship it frozen COD to PO box 374 mountain home Texas. I have a proper disposal method that will insure no contamination of innocents.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/25/15 11:13 PM

Who has eland hunts?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/26/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperben
Who has eland hunts?

therancher
Posted By: trapperben

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/27/15 12:27 AM

Thanks!

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/27/15 03:52 PM

Just cleared out my messages. Been to canada and moving so haven't kept up here lately.

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/27/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
It's poison! Don't eat it! Ship it frozen COD to PO box 374 mountain home Texas. I have a proper disposal method that will insure no contamination of innocents.

Let me know when the shipment arrives, so I can assist with the....*ahem*....disposal.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/27/15 11:44 PM

Wounded two, one only slightly, neither one found. Killed two.

The bushmen of west Africa believe it was the first animal created by God and has special powers. I tend to agree with them.

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/28/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

Let me know when the shipment arrives, so I can assist with the....*ahem*....disposal.

You got it. I'll get the hazmat suits..

Re: eland hunt and question - 05/28/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

You got it. I'll get the hazmat suits..

No need.....I've already got them. Yours is green.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum