Texas Hunting Forum

Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted

Posted By: okiehuntr

Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/04/15 11:05 PM

I'm wanting to book a trophy Gemsbok hunt Jan 2016. I would like all inclusive charges and fees quoted along with an idea of herd size approximate horn size, ranch size and hunting technique. Another alternative would be a cull Gemsbok along with a trophy, either Axis, Fallow, Blackbuck OR ????
I have budgeted $6000.
Outfitters can either PM me or email to: cr@royalexchangeranch.com
thanks,
okie
Posted By: TB338

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 12:26 AM

I would recommend Star S Ranch, large property, good herd of Gemsbok, and an AWESOME LODGE.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 12:20 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: bghunter3

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 05:12 PM

For that budget you could go to Africa, something to consider.
Posted By: TGT

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 05:37 PM

If I had the cash I think I would be at http://www.wendyloureserve.com/. Great place and great people!!!

TGT
Posted By: the lab

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 09:18 PM

You should contact Ryan Longer at http://www.longersoutdoors.com/ His hunts are all inclusive. I just hunted with him last month. We had a great time and as it happens I had asked him about Gemsbok. I think he would be able to get you what you want and work around your budget with ease. Good luck wherever you go
Posted By: JPHunting

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 09:25 PM

In all seriousness, you should consider what bghunter3 has said. For that budget you'd just about pay for flights and a hunt in Africa for gemsbok and a few other species to boot!
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/05/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: JPHunting
In all seriousness, you should consider what bghunter3 has said. For that budget you'd just about pay for flights and a hunt in Africa for gemsbok and a few other species to boot!

Some people with that kind of budget are lucky to steal a weekend here or there; just some perspective.
PS: Jack congrats on Water Valley!
Posted By: Shadeabby

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 01:01 AM

I did a trip to Africa and 7 animals later including a gemsbok and air fair I was still under that budget. Talk to double shot outfitters. Adam can fill you in on any details.
Posted By: J4dguns

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 01:56 AM

Pm sent
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: TGT
If I had the cash I think I would be at http://www.wendyloureserve.com/. Great place and great people!!!

Ive heard nothing but good things about them and know they have a good herd, they have self sustaining herds not put and take.

TGT

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 05:00 AM

Why not hunt free range in NM?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Shadeabby
I did a trip to Africa and 7 animals later including a gemsbok and air fair I was still under that budget. Talk to double shot outfitters. Adam can fill you in on any details.

Double Shot Outfitters +1

Plus they have ranches with Gemsbok and Axis right here in Texas
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
Why not hunt free range in NM?

Yep. I would do this. It's really hard to get drawn on the White Sands Missile Range anymore, but the oryx are so numerous that they've spilled over onto neighboring ranches.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 10:57 AM

While all this is true you can go to Africa and hunt those Animals for that budget but, if you plan on mounting your trophys then your price will easily double if not more than that! I've been pricing a trip over to the dark continent for several years with several outfitters and I will go sooner rather than later but when you plan on haveing your trophys mounted the prices escalate quickly. Just my .02 cents. Later Taters, Bsker

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 11:54 AM

I checked out/priced Africa, if one goes there you might as well get 2 or 3 critters and it all adds up and costs well over 10K
okie

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 11:57 AM

Wendy lou reserve is on my short list along with S ranch.
okiehuntr

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

Double Shot Outfitters +1

Plus they have ranches with Gemsbok and Axis right here in Texas

I had a VERY bad experience with doubleshot outfitters and Adam.
okiehuntr
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/06/15 10:59 PM

You don't want a hunt in S. Africa for under 6K.

There's two types of other hunters you'll meet in the Johannesburg airport: 1. They only talk about the # of animals they killed in X days, and 2. They talk about the experience.

Good luck on your Texas gemsbok, whomever you choose.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/07/15 03:20 AM

Mulie Mike on here does free range gemsbok hunts in New Mexico right outside of El Paso. I know it would be well within your budget, even with the $1600 NM Tag Fee. I hunted with him a couple of years ago and had a blast. As an aside.....the meat from gemsbok oryx is excellent and you can't bring the meat back from Africa.
Posted By: Sevens

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/07/15 03:28 AM

Africa is fun and seems like a good deal, but by the time you factor in additional trophy fees, airfare, dip & pack, shipping trophies, customs, taxidermy and all the other stuff that $6,000 "deal" turns into a $18,000 money pit.

I've hunted Africa, it's a ton of fun and I would do it every year if I could, but honestly, there are some animals I would rather shoot in Texas than pay the "entry" fee to shoot them in Africa (Thomson's gazelle being one example).

The comment about having the money, but not the time is also a relevant one.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Gemsbok Trophy hunt wanted - 05/07/15 01:33 PM

http://www.okosongoro.com.na/rates.html

This is who I hunted with in Namibia for my gemsbok. His daily fee is $400 and the trophy fee for a Gemsbok is $640. Airfare is around $2,000. Dipping and shipping for just one animal should be well under a grand, but that's just a guess based on my paying $3,000 for 11 animals that I have coming from South Africa on a different trip this past August.

Namibia is thick with good gemsbok and kudu. It's why I went there. You have just a good a chance of getting a good one inside a fence as you do outside the fence. We saw so many every day that I waited almost to the last day to shoot my 35 inch bull because we where seeing a few over 40 inches, but never managed to get a clear shot at one of them, so that's what I settled with. He is a heck of a bull and I'm not complaining, there where so many, that I knew every day I could take a good one if I couldn't get one of those exceptional ones. Same with Kudu, we saw 50 inch bulls almost every day. I shot a 52 inch bull that is just perfect. Of course, a couple days later we saw a 55 inch bull, but to me, I couldn't tell the difference, but out PH sure could!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum