Texas Hunting Forum

Marhor Help

Posted By: mulie_mike

Marhor Help - 03/22/15 12:18 AM

Those of you that have them or have dealt with them please help me out.

Are they easy or hard to raise?
Any tips or pointers for someone looking at getting a breeding herd established?

How many years for one to reach maturity/trophy quality from a yearling?

Thanks
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 01:47 AM

I raise ibex and I've heard they are very similar Except they can jump even higher. I believe 4 years old would be trophy. Not much help im sure but what the heck! good luck.
Posted By: don k

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 04:05 PM

I know squat about Marhor but from what I have seen is. If an animal will bring a lot of money and there are not a whole lot of them around there are usually two reasons. One is it must be very expensive to get started or the most likely reason is they are very difficult to raise and get to a harvestable size.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 07:09 PM

Arent markhor the ones that will climb trees and jump high fences?
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 07:49 PM

I know the Patio Ranch has Markovs that they sell and hunt... I'd call them and ask. Gary Ploch is a great guy and I'm certain he'd be happy to talk to you.

Markhor Live Sales:

Females - $3,950.
Males: Under 12"-$4,200, Over 12"-$350 per inch when available.

Markhor Hunts

Trophy $ 350 per inch.

Breeder $ 20,000

Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 11:13 PM

You may have these following websites. Just trying to help.

Markor 1

Markor 2

Markor 3

Markor 4

Markor 5

Markor 6
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 11:15 PM

Call Gary, good guy. His pens for them are 10ft and any corners are capped - they are jumpers. I have looked at them a while and just haven't pulled the trigger b/c the fence in our hunting pasture is nowhere near good enough to hold them.

Think Aaron's being a bit optimistic on how quickly they grow - more like pure Nubians, not really trophies until 7-8yrs old
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Marhor Help - 03/22/15 11:20 PM

most 4 year old ibex will be close to 30", which from what I've heard is the size that is considered trophy. my billy is 5 and 33"
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Marhor Help - 03/23/15 06:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum