Texas Hunting Forum

Spanish goats?

Posted By: Roo Basher

Spanish goats? - 02/27/15 04:13 AM

Back in the old days, when we had a lot of feral goats in the west (the area beyond Texas to the west). It was fairly common to take on in California on the islands. I was too young to go, and I always felt like I missed the grand old days of hunting Catalina, Santa Cruz and San Clemente.

Anyway, has the boer goat craze killed off the good big feral goats, or are any still available to hunt?

They used to be the cheapest exotic on Texas ranches. I have not seen one listed anywhere in a while.
Posted By: don k

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/27/15 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
Back in the old days, when we had a lot of feral goats in the west (the area beyond Texas to the west). It was fairly common to take on in California on the islands. I was too young to go, and I always felt like I missed the grand old days of hunting Catalina, Santa Cruz and San Clemente.

Anyway, has the boer goat craze killed off the good big feral goats, or are any still available to hunt?

They used to be the cheapest exotic on Texas ranches. I have not seen one listed anywhere in a while.

They are still around. Actually a lot of goat raisers are mixing the Boer with the Spanish. My Grandsons have a couple of Boer, Persian type Ibex cross kids born a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/27/15 03:26 PM

Thompson has some Spanish looking goats on his place.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/28/15 07:18 AM

My son got this guy a few months ago at Thompsons for 190.00
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/28/15 02:27 PM

Great looking goats for $190!
Here is his cousin...

He had very curled hair. Angora Goat scores as a "Catalina".

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/28/15 04:49 PM

Nice white ones. Not what I am looking for, but nice.
Posted By: Rickey Hunt

Re: Spanish goats? - 02/28/15 11:06 PM

They have crossed the Boer goats with the Catalinia so much it is hard to find good Catalinia's .
Posted By: gremcat

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/01/15 03:40 AM

Any place have them free ranging or just HF? I always wanted to hunt one on an island but won;t be anytime soon. I am trying to find a spot and stalk to keep my teenager interested in hunting. He bailed on me this year and told me he hates stand hunting.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/01/15 03:47 AM

We have some free range in Val Verde county. Showed up just over a year ago. All different sizes but nothing super big. Would be a fun hunt though

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/01/15 04:49 PM

Mike, is that near the Axis deer?

Can you hunt javelina on that hunt?

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/01/15 04:49 PM

Oh, and where does a guy fly into? El P, or ???
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/03/15 03:39 AM

It's in the vicinity of the Axis. You could fly into San Angelo then drive down which it is about 2hrs from there.
Posted By: cjbs2003

Re: Spanish goats? - 03/04/15 06:11 AM

Mike, any idea what the cost would be for the free range hunt for the goats? No need for some record book trophy. Just a nice one for the wall and some meat. Don't even need a guide to hold my hand, just point me in the right direction...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum