Texas Hunting Forum

Free range Aoudad near Blackwell

Posted By: John Humbert

Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 12:58 AM

Another surprise species one lease near Blackwell. Saw them this morning on my hill, but I didn't think anyone would believe me. Then got these pics when I check cam cards when I got home.

I think this is a couple, a ram and a ewe. Are these big enough to shoot?

Posted By: Redneck78

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 01:25 AM

rifle
Posted By: JROD

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 02:07 AM

Probably came off the texana. Its not far as a crow flies from you!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 02:29 AM

neat.....I think the ram looks good enough to shoot base on what I see here for free range Aoudads
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 04:37 AM

On your place, if you like them shoot them. There are tons of Aoudad hanging on walls mounted that are not that big. Good chaps would look good mounted.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 12:34 PM

You can't really tell from the larger one since his horns are hidden in every picture but bottom line is if you like him take him. It's not always about inches or score.

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 02:49 PM

I saw them with my own eyes and the bigger one is noticeably bigger even at distance. Horns make 3/4 circle. Just don't want to shoot an immature or ewe. That is, if our lease manager allows us to shoot them and they stick around long enough for someone to connect with them.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
You can't really tell from the larger one since his horns are hidden in every picture but bottom line is if you like him take him. It's not always about inches or score.

X2
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 04:37 PM

Shoot them both before they eat all your protein
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
It's not always about inches or score.

says the outfitter! wink I agree with Mike though, I look back on my 4 Aoudad hunts with Mike and they were all a great experience. 95% of what I think about is the fun and challenge we had. everyone that sees my trophy room likes the Aoudad's, but they honestly don't care about score. same room I have a 25" and a 28", no one really notices.

all that said after not breaking the 30" inch mark, I'm willing to work harder and be more patient to do it.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

I think this is a couple, a ram and a ewe. Are these big enough to shoot?

What are the chances that they will stay on your property and live long enough to be "big enough" to shoot? If you like it, take it. If not, your neighbor will!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/16/15 07:36 PM

Well, me, I would take a friend down and let him shoot it for a small fee. Pay for part of my lease. But we all know how I feel about sheep and goats. rolleyes
Posted By: therancher

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/18/15 04:18 AM

Shoot them. Aoudads are survivors, wherever they came from, there will be more.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/18/15 01:19 PM

I would shoot them soon, if you don't you will have a herd of 50 in short order. They reproduce like hogs and are just as bad around feeders. Won't be long and they will be head butting your feeder when it gets empty or low and they want feed.

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/18/15 01:58 PM

Lol. Already had some nice new dents in the Lamco.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/19/15 02:11 PM

I know I've said this before too. If you have aoudads they are free range. They are where they are because they want to be there. That's why i said shoot them, wherever they came from, there will be more.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Free range Aoudad near Blackwell - 02/19/15 02:23 PM

If you need any help John let me know just down the road from you. up Been doing a lot of glassing on our plateaus, there going to be there one day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum