Texas Hunting Forum

Good combo for May/June Axis deer

Posted By: Roo Basher

Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/14/15 04:41 AM

Folks,

I am living out in the Mojave desert in California and I need to hunt axis this year in May or June. What is another good exotic to hunt with axis deer that will have good skin color (unlike blackbuck) and a nice looking hide?

Thinking nilgai or something African antelope?
Posted By: Sevens

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/14/15 05:14 PM

Scimitar oryx or addax. They look nice, make great mounts and eat well.
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/14/15 06:10 PM

Nilgia are in full swing that time of the year.

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/14/15 10:11 PM

We'll figure something out in a few months.

Since I am flying in to do this, I'd need it pretty turn key.

Taxidermy pick up

Skinning

1/4 and cool the meat so I can bring it out in a couple of coolers with me on the aircraft.
Posted By: Shadeabby

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/14/15 11:07 PM

Check out Adam with doubleshotoutfitters. They can put you on Nilgai and axis the same area.

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/15/15 03:20 AM

I'd like to hunt to be a hunt and not a shoot. The experience matters, you pay for experience, and some times you pay for it and get screwed over. That is a real point of this industry.

I want to be treated like a human and not like a checkbook.

I don't need the best food in the world or the fanciest lodge with 300 channels of tv.

I am thinking about doing a 777 Ranch hunt at the end of the year for Barasingha, that place looks like a pretty good experience. If I lived in Texas and was hunting 40 miles from the house I might be fine with the 1-4 hour whack and stack.

Price point they are a lot higher than I want to pay for axis this summer, even though their daily and guide fee rate of $400 per day is kind of steep. But I feel for $400 a day you are getting your money worth. A lot of other jackasses are charging the same $400-500 per day and I don't know what for.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/15/15 05:15 AM

I believe that Woodbury's, can process, freeze and overnight, your meat to you. I'm not sure the cost, but the reduced hassle factor, might make it worth it.
Posted By: ExoticKiller

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/22/15 02:59 AM

I second Double Shot Outfitters!
Posted By: Nontypical3006

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/22/15 04:57 AM

x3 for Double Shot Outfitters. Adam is top notch!
Posted By: Double Shot Outfitters

Re: Good combo for May/June Axis deer - 02/23/15 03:13 PM

Thanks guys! Roo we will have some great axis and still be able to hunt nilgai at that time. Nilgai is definitely a hunt not a shoot! Let me know if you are interested!
Thanks
Adam
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum