Texas Hunting Forum

Two Stumberg Sheep

Posted By: TonyinVA

Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/29/15 09:10 PM

Thought some of the "Sheep Addicts" might like this pic of some Stumbergs ((which are an Argali x European Mouflon hybrid). They are off the White Elk ranch website. I thought they looked impressive. Some might argue that the only place that has Stumberg rams is the Patio Ranch since they never sell rams only ewes.....but who knows. Bottom line they are nice looking rams.

Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/29/15 09:52 PM

I like... clap
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/29/15 10:01 PM

I wouldn't mind hunting one but they sure as heck are very expensive.

Nice rams seems white elk has a good herd.
Posted By: brett toth

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/29/15 10:51 PM

pretty cool rams, but yes $6,900 is alot for one. But then again its much cheaper than a full blood urial.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 12:38 AM

The patio has Stumberg rams to hunt...believe it is $4000 trophy fee for trophy rams..alot higher for Breeder rams.

Here are the trophy rams from a pic taken last year

Here are the Breeder Rams
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 01:02 AM

That ram on the far right in the last pic.
aim elmer
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Kobus
That ram on the far right in the last pic.
aim elmer

X2

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 01:16 AM

look at the one in the middle..way in the back...he's no slouch either
Posted By: Jared Drzymala

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 02:34 PM

This one here is a stumberg x with dall
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 02:58 PM

I really want to do that hunt soon

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jared Drzymala

This one here is a stumberg x with dall

That's an impressive ram. I have seen a lot of Stumberg ewes crossed with other sheep..typically Transcaspian Urials so on those hybrids the horns don't typically have the curls that you see on the dall hybrid in your photo.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 06:02 PM

Yeah when you look at the picture here on mine, the left side is 39" and the right 44"

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/30/15 06:14 PM

Jared, like I said..impressive ram. In your post above you wrote "Yeah when you look at the picture here on mine, the left side is 39" and the right 44"

Does the "mine" indicate that you own or raised the ram?

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 02:15 AM

I own him, but I did not raise him up to that size, I bought him to breed my dall ewes and I even have the pedigree from the breeder on this ram

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 02:22 AM

I am curious, was it a Dall ram and a Stumberg ewe or was the Stumberg pedigree deeper than that?

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 02:37 AM

His mom was half dall and his dad was pure stumberg from the patio ranch
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 03:51 AM

Jared are you by Georgetown? That ram looks like a ram over by Georgetown.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 04:08 AM

The guy I bought it from was in Georgetown

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 04:42 AM

His mom was half dall and his dad was pure stumberg from the patio ranch

Jarad, I did not think that the Patio Ranch sold any Stumberg rams only ewes...so I'm surprised that the father was a Stumberg unless your ram was bred on the Patio Ranch.

The only reason for my asking is that I have seen places saying they have Stumberg rams, but if the Patio only sells ewes, then that would making it pretty hard to find a Stumberg ram that wasn't some sort of cross unless somehow they sold a ewe that was pregnant and she had a ram.

Regardless, you have an impressive looking ram.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 01/31/15 01:05 PM

Correct the patio only sold him ewes and he got lucky, they were older ewes and the patio didn't think those ewes would take and 1 did and had a ram and that's how that breeder got his stumberg

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 02:05 AM

Correct the patio only sold him ewes and he got lucky, they were older ewes and the patio didn't think those ewes would take and 1 did and had a ram and that's how that breeder got his stumberg

Dear Sir,

I'm confused2 now.

Why does the Patio Ranch breed their Stumberg Rams to Texas Dall ewe's? As far as I know the Patio has not shown any interest in selling Stumberg cross rams? Or cross bred stumberg/dall ewe's

Respectfully submitted

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Dear Sir,

I'm confused2 now.

Why does the Patio Ranch breed their Stumberg Rams to Texas Dall ewe's? As far as I know the Patio has not shown any interest in selling Stumberg cross rams? Or cross bred stumberg/dall ewe's

Respectfully submitted

I think Jared is saying that:

1. The Patio Ranch sold a Stumberg ewe that was with a Stumberg ram...but the Patio sold it thinking the ewe was not pregnant.

2. A sheep breeder bought that ewe and she had a lamb from being breed on the Patio...so it was a Stumberg ram

3. That breeder then raised that Stumberg ram as his breeder ram

4. The breeder then bred the Stumberg ram with his Dall ewe

5. The Dall ewe had a Stumber xDall lamb...which is the ram that Jared bought and is shown in the pictures.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 03:59 AM

^^^ Thanks I guess I'm just a little slow loco_too^^^^

So there's other Stumberg ram's in Texas besides on the Patio Ranch up Lucky Breeder. Wonder what the ram looks like. He is producing some big cross rams. Must be a stud.

Any chance we can see a picture of him bounce

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 03:57 PM

To all,

I do not know if all these places that say they have Stumberg rams other than the Patio Ranch actually have Stumberg rams that have the same pedigree as those on the Patio ranch or if someone bought a Stumberg ewe and crossed her with a European Mouflon or some other sheep.

Unless the patio Ranch was selling Stumberg Rams at one point (or a lot of bred ewes were sold), there seems to be a lot of places that claim to have Stumberg rams.

Just an observation.
Posted By: Hilonesome

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 05:20 PM

Tony You are correct in saying that the Patio Ranch only sells Stumberg Ewes, Jared's Ram came from the Same Place that White Elk Ranch got their initial Stumberg Herd, they have since purchased Ewes from the Patio Ranch....

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Hilonesome
Tony You are correct in saying that the Patio Ranch only sells Stumberg Ewes, Jared's Ram came from the Same Place that White Elk Ranch got their initial Stumberg Herd, they have since purchased Ewes from the Patio Ranch....

So if the Patio only sold ewe.....unless a ewe is sold that was bred which resulted in a male lamb.....there should be no "pure" Stumberg rams other than those on the Patio (and I use the term pure in quotes because the Stunmbergs are a hybrid to start with).

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 06:32 PM

Since we are on the subject of the Patio Ranch, here is a picture of an unreal ram from their newsletter.

Here is an excerpt from that newsletter. I also attached the link. They do not state what the exact hybrid was, but someone did tell me it was Transcaspian Urial x European Mouflon, but I do not know if that is correct. regardless, I would love to shoot a ram like that.

"The second was a hybrid Trans-Caspian urial ram that had been an experiment in genetics. It produced a sheep that is a one in 10,000 type sheep: large body, long horns, massive bases and the intelligence of the true wild sheep."

http://www.thepatioranch.com/timbo-s-dream-come-true-sheep-hunt/

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 06:55 PM

Here are two Stumbergs from the White Elks ranch ..the bigger one is a hammer of a ram

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/01/15 09:42 PM

Yeah you beat me to it saying that White elk has stumbergs

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/04/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA

So if the Patio only sold ewe.....unless a ewe is sold that was bred which resulted in a male lamb.....there should be no "pure" Stumberg rams other than those on the Patio (and I use the term pure in quotes because the Stunmbergs are a hybrid to start with).

That's what He claimed, He had a Ewe lamb after purchasing and She had a Ram lamb, look at the First Pic of the Harvested Ram from White Elk, might be hard to see in that Pic (but I seen the Ram Live) He has a Badger Face like a Barbado, some of those first "Pure Stumbergs" that White Elk Got weren't so "Pure"....

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/04/15 02:45 PM

Hilonsome,

I've seem quite a few Transcaspian Urial ram x Stumberg ewes ..... I figure that's what a lot of the people who buy Stumberg ewes try and bred them with.... a hybrid of two large sheep. It's an impressive hybrid as I've seen some 3 1/2 year olds that look pretty good with 33-36" horns . If you could find one that was 7-8 yrs old I bet it would be a monster, but most get sold and hunted before they get really old. That's just how the business model is for the breeders.

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/05/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Hilonsome,

I've seem quite a few Transcaspian Urial ram x Stumberg ewes ..... I figure that's what a lot of the people who buy Stumberg ewes try and bred them with.... a hybrid of two large sheep. It's an impressive hybrid as I've seen some 3 1/2 year olds that look pretty good with 33-36" horns . If you could find one that was 7-8 yrs old I bet it would be a monster, but most get sold and hunted before they get really old. That's just how the business model is for the breeders.

Agreed! the Baddest Ram I ever seen was a T Urial and Stumberg Cross! I had a Urial/Texas Dall/Mouflon Cross Ram that was a beast! at 3 years old he weighed 250 lbs and sported 38" Horns with 12.5" Bases, talked to Gary at Patio Ranch a few times about getting some Stumberg Ewes to put him on but didn't have enough room to keep a buffer between Him and My Mouflon Herd, so ended up selling Him....

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/05/15 02:42 AM

Here is a Pic of the Ram I'm talking about, Didn't have the Depth or width of the ones You posted, but incredible length and Base at that Age!

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/05/15 02:49 AM

Here is a Pic of the Ram I'm talking about, Didn't have the Depth or width of the ones You posted, but incredible length and Base at that Age!

banana cheers clap up eek2 woot banana2 rifle happy3 eeks333

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/05/15 02:54 AM

He's a beast. The bases are really exceptional and all the ridges on the horns are really handsome, but I see what you mean about the depth of the curl. A heck of a ram and would look great on anyone's wall.,,and only 3 yrs old.
Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: Two Stumberg Sheep - 02/05/15 06:02 AM

What a beast of a ram.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum