Texas Hunting Forum

Table fare question?

Posted By: C 338

Table fare question? - 12/10/14 10:47 PM

On typical average sized animals what will yield more meat for the freezer, 2 fallow does or one red deer hind? Also which will be the better eating?

I need to put some meat in the freezer and I have a place back east here that I can take either 2 fallow does or a red deer hind and the price will only be $50.00 dollars between the two options. So I am leaning to which ever I would get the most meat from. It appear from "googling" that it may be pretty even on the yield.
Posted By: LittleD

Re: Table fare question? - 12/10/14 11:20 PM

Red hind will be the better eating.
Posted By: JPHunting

Re: Table fare question? - 12/10/14 11:30 PM

In Australia I hunt red deer and fallow deer more than anything and I've eaten almost nothing but them since I was a kid, trust me a good red hind wins hands down every time!

In fact I was just having this conversation with a deer farmer of over 30 years on the weekend and we both agreed on that. Fallow are too inconsistent, I've shot a 9 year old buck that was sensational eating but I've also shot yearling does that tasted terrible. Get yourself a yearling red hind (or any red hind) and the only thing that could beat it would be a chital (axis) or hog deer (so I'm told - haven't harvested one of these yet).
Posted By: Mwhuntfish

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 01:31 AM

I have found both to be very good. The hind I shot yielded more meat than 2 fallow does would have, plus the cuts are a nicer serving size.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 01:50 AM

The hind no question and it will be better eating. A lot better.
Posted By: Parttime

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 01:47 PM

Got my first Hind last year, best game meat I have eaten yet.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 01:56 PM

Both are good.
Red hind is usually what most prefer.
Fallow tends to have a lot more fat but the flavor of the meat is good.
Posted By: C 338

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. It seems the better eating is the hind but what about yield? As the purpose is to stock the freezer. Will the hind give me more meat than 2 fallow does, again assuming all are average, typical sized.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 05:46 PM

Generally yes the red hind will give you more meat. That is kind of hard to answer because I dont know how big the red deer hind is that your going after. Some vary if they are a cross with an elk or depending on the bloodline, range conditions, and age of animals.

I think the difference is not going to be that much to worry about. I would be more concerned with if you want 65 lbs of of some meat that is on a scale of 1-10 a 6 or 75 lbs of meat that is about a 8.5.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Table fare question? - 12/11/14 10:57 PM

Personally I prefer the Fallow over the Red Deer, both I shot were Stags so dont know if that had anything to do with it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Table fare question? - 12/12/14 11:22 PM

now I have to ask how much to expect to pay for a red hind? not trophy
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Table fare question? - 12/13/14 12:22 AM

Someone just posted on the outfitter section red hind hunts for $500
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Table fare question? - 12/13/14 12:30 AM

I really liked fallow but hind is better
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum