Texas Hunting Forum

Racing Nilgai

Posted By: Kobus

Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 04:31 AM

Has anyone ever done it? Does their temperament prevent them from being kept like whitetails in breeding pens? How do they handle places like the Hill Country compared to South Texas?
Posted By: Tux Man

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 01:29 PM

I wouldn't want to be the guy who puts a saddle on them.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 01:52 PM

Hell I used to be pretty quick but I'll pass. Find me an old Donkey and I'll give it a shot. clap
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 02:39 PM

roflmao walking
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Kobus
Has anyone ever done it? Does their temperament prevent them from being kept like whitetails in breeding pens? How do they handle places like the Hill Country compared to South Texas?

I think you meant "raising" not racing.

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/14/14 05:04 PM

Gah, stupid phone making a typo. frown

But the image of nilgai running around a race track is pretty funny. laugh
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/16/14 04:21 PM

Well, Nilgai means blue cow in urdu/hindi. Since cows are sacred and these things aren't, the hindus call them nilghorai, or blue horses. Hey, it's a great idea IMO
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/16/14 07:07 PM

I know some have been raised in the hill country, they are not very tolerate of cold,so naturally they have stopped just below Corpus. They are pretty easy on fences unless they get to going under, need a 7-10 foot game fence and should be good will jump a 5 foot fence with ease. they are grazers and do not browse that much. I had a friend that had bought 3 cows and a bull said they fought with his cape eland. Don't know if that was a one off thing, or can be taking as gospel...

Ed
Posted By: PBGSO

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/17/14 02:11 AM

We had some on a ranch we managed on the edge of South Texas a few years back and they did very well never had any problems with them but they were always pretty illusive grew very well and got really big quick. I have another friend who raised them in pens and turned them out Kerrville area and they were very docile stood around the house all the time. Both places they had full feed and places to get out of the weather.

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/17/14 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 505ed
I know some have been raised in the hill country, they are not very tolerate of cold,so naturally they have stopped just below Corpus. They are pretty easy on fences unless they get to going under, need a 7-10 foot game fence and should be good will jump a 5 foot fence with ease. they are grazers and do not browse that much. I had a friend that had bought 3 cows and a bull said they fought with his cape eland. Don't know if that was a one off thing, or can be taking as gospel...

Ed

I've heard the same thing with them fighting with Eland.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/17/14 05:36 PM

Only risk in the Hill CO is cold. Give them some shelter, and feed heavy when it gets real cold and they can make it. A ranch outside Kerrville netted quite a few off the King a few years back. I've only talked to one guy who tried to pen raise them. Said the cows got to be very docile, but the bulls would get aggressive when their rut rolled around.

Let me know when you get these Nilgai races going. That'd be a sight to see.

Re: Racing Nilgai - 11/19/14 09:30 PM

^Just need to talk to the college administration, but you should see blue bulls flashing by soon! Remember guys, Kerrville at Schreiner University every Friday night! Need to find me some good stock....and brave riders. roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum