Texas Hunting Forum

Barbary/Audad Advice

Posted By: ltsheets

Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/04/14 05:24 AM

Hey guys. So my wife and I both drew NM tags for Barbary in Units 29 and 30. I've done a pretty good deal of pouring over Google Earth to try and find some nasty terrain to scout if I get the chance before the hunt in Feb. I was curious if any of you have ever hunted those units and if anyone could offer some general advice on hunting these sheep. This will be my first sheep hunt of any type. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/04/14 01:31 PM

Cover tons of ground and glass your a$$es off lol
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/04/14 02:40 PM

Wind Mountain, and the 2 other large peaks next to it in southern unit 29 will produce for you.
Anything with high hills or small mountains near the Hueco mountains in that same unit also. I have
seen some big rams while oryx hunting out there on both public and private property.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/05/14 02:50 AM

Thanks mulie mike! That sounds like some great advice.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/06/14 12:55 AM

Good luck. Sounds like a great time! clap

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/06/14 01:34 AM

Thanks guys. I really hope I get to scout before the hunt. If anyone else has any Barbary hunting tips for a rookie, I'm all ears...
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/06/14 04:19 AM

Please be patient, glass. Glass, Glass.
What caliber are you hunting with?
How far can you shoot accurately?
Their vision is equal to the best binos you can buy, so remember to move very slow, if you have to move at all.
If you are lucky enough to see them and stalk with in range, you must hit them accurately and HARD.THIS IS NOT A DEER, the vitals are forward and low in the torso.
Anyone who has hunted them FREE RANGE can tell you they soak up a lot of lead and they are tough.
I hope this helps, we look forward to lots of pics from your hunt.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/06/14 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: cazador1022
Please be patient, glass. Glass, Glass.
What caliber are you hunting with?
How far can you shoot accurately?
Their vision is equal to the best binos you can buy, so remember to move very slow, if you have to move at all.
If you are lucky enough to see them and stalk with in range, you must hit them accurately and HARD.THIS IS NOT A DEER, the vitals are forward and low in the torso.
Anyone who has hunted them FREE RANGE can tell you they soak up a lot of lead and they are tough.
I hope this helps, we look forward to lots of pics from your hunt.

I plan on glassing a ton and hunting from daylight to dark every day. I'm going to be hunting with a 300wsm most likely shooting 168gr Barnes TSX. My wife will either use that or more likely carry her 270 shooting 130gr Barnes TSX so I feel like we have enough gun. After reading what you say about where the vitals are, I've been trying to find a picture of where the vitals are located but haven't had any luck yet. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/06/14 05:22 AM

Oh and we're going to practice out to 500 yds in case we have to reach out with a longer shot.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/07/14 02:02 AM

Shoot them dead in the shoulder, break it so they can't get away. A vitals shot that doesn't break the shoulder will probably result in a lost animal. They are TOUGH animals and will disappear and die. Do to admire your shot put a second in it immediately, even if he is down.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/07/14 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Shoot them dead in the shoulder, break it so they can't get away. A vitals shot that doesn't break the shoulder will probably result in a lost animal. They are TOUGH animals and will disappear and die. Do to admire your shot put a second in it immediately, even if he is down.

exactly my sentiment

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/07/14 04:25 PM

Anyone know where to find a pic of their vitals?

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/07/14 04:38 PM

They are right behind the big shoulder bone.If you shoot behind the shoulder you missed.
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/07/14 05:33 PM

Aoudad are tougher then any deer you will ever shoot. My ram still didn't give up the ghost even when my shot broke down his shoulder. Had to put a finisher in him.
When he was field dressed the bullet went through both lungs...and that's with a 300.

Also they are super wary...they are NOT your Thomson temple hand fed Corsicans. They are far more wild then any whitetail. They have eyes like a hawk.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/08/14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
They are right behind the big shoulder bone.If you shoot behind the shoulder you missed.

Are you talking the shoulder blades or basically if I hit it like a deer I've missed? I'm thinking so far that I need to follow the front let up and aim in that line no more than a 1/3 up the body. Is that correct?

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/08/14 04:09 AM

Yes. Break the shoulder bone, the lungs are right behind it.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/10/14 03:52 PM

Through the shoulder, not behind the shoulder

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/10/14 04:35 PM

See the hole in this rams shoulder? That's where you need to shoot them and with a bonded bullet only,
no ballistic tips and a minimum of a .270

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
See the hole in this rams shoulder? That's where you need to shoot them and with a bonded bullet only,

up

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 03:26 AM

That dude is ugly. But he shot a good goat.
I'm coming back ASAP!

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 04:24 AM

Awesome. That explains it perfect. On another note, it's looking like I'm not going to have my 300wsm for the hunt as I'm having issues with it and will likely be taking a 270 with a 257 wby as a backup. The energy on the two is pretty much the same out to 400 yds. Can I rely on an accubond in the 257 wby to be bonded enough for the barbs?

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 04:56 AM

I used a 257 WBY to shoot my ram on a hunt with Mulie Mike earlier this fall. I shoot a 257 almost exclusively and felt more confident in it for a long shot. My ram was about 210 yards and I broke his shoulder. He still took off up the hill but dropped after about 25 yards. My hunting buddy shot his with a .257wby at 368 yards and it took 2 more shots to bring it down. The only shot he had was low neck/ chest and the mace a perfect hit but didn't break any bone and his ram jumped off a 15 foot ledge and took off. His next two shots were money and the last shot broke his shoulder. We were using 110 grain Accubonds.
All that said if I do it again I am taking a 270 WBY. These animals are very tough and it took a broke shoulder to anchor them.
I think the most important thing in choosing your gun for this hunt is one you have full confidence in long range shooting and still enough bullet and energy to break that shoulder bone and keep penetrating to the lung. I had my gun sighted dead on at 300 yards so I felt confident out to 500. Take a real good shooting rest or have a bipod on your gun. The only shot I had was standing up and using a a bipod stick for a rest. Partner had time to get prone and use his bipod. You have to be quick on these animals or they will disappear fast.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 05:00 AM

By the way the dude in the pic was our guide and we saw a bruiser like his while on the hunt. I wonder if went out and got-that sucker!
Oh yea and be ready to pack it out, doubtful you'll be close to a road if you get one. I have heard of some people eating the meat but after smelling the ram I am pretty sure anyone that says it is good has non functional taste buds.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/11/14 05:16 AM

Ah he's not that bad (once you get used to him). He earned that bad boy though and was patient (6 years waiting) to get a ram like
that for his wall. We took him out in the Big Bend area/CDP so that bruiser you guys saw is still running around.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/12/14 12:01 AM

Thanks guys. This is getting me pumped up about the hunt and it's still over 3 months away!

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/12/14 01:29 AM

Ah he's not that bad (once you get used to him). He earned that bad boy though and was patient (6 years waiting) to get a ram like
that for his wall. We took him out in the Big Bend area/CDP so that bruiser you guys saw is still running around.

Yep he is a great guy. Worked his rear off for us. He deserves that big ole goat.
That was a real big goat we jumped in the rain. Glad he is still there.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/18/14 07:28 PM

For those of you who have hunted barbs down near El Paso, what should I expect the weather to be like that time of year? The units I'll be hunting will be bordering TX in that area.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/18/14 09:54 PM

You will be closer to the Guadalupe's than you will El Paso so I would look up past weather charts for that area.
Typically though it is about 10 to 15 degrees cooler in that area than El Paso.

Re: Barbary/Audad Advice - 11/25/14 02:46 AM

SOMEONE ELSES STORY BUT GOOD INSIGHT

Hunting Barbary Sheep in New Mexico

February 2007

Largely as a tune-up for a planned August 2007 Dall Sheep hunt (subsequently postponed to 2008), I had been looking for an off-season hunt during the winter. Free-range barbary sheep (also known as Aoudad) became a focus, and I tracked down an outfitter in New Mexico who offered a trespass-based fee hunt for a reasonable price. When I discussed this during elk season with one of my hunting partners, Kent Bendel of Post Falls, Idaho, he decided to come along.

I drove from Denver down to Albuquerque, where I picked up Kent at the airport. We continued the drive to Roswell, about 2 and a half hours, and overnighted. We met the guide, Chris Flanagan, the next morning, and followed him out to the ranch where we'd be hunting.

Chris had grown up near Roswell. He had gone to school with a lot of ranch kids and had good contacts with the locals. Trespass fee hunts were pretty common in the area, and Chris would buy spots with local ranchers and resell a few to out-of-state hunters such as myself and Kent. Neither of us had ever even seen a Barbary Sheep before, so we were glad to accept Chris’s offer to tag along with us on the hunt.

Barbary Sheep, natives of north Africa, had been introduced in to the Roswell area when they escaped from a private enclosure in the 1950s. The sheep have thrived in the barren, dry country of eastern New Mexcio. These are free-range animals, able to jump stock fences as easily as the local mule deer. As we were to find out, they are spooky and hard to hunt, much harder to approach than the mule deer on the ranch.

Aoudad have an exotic appearance. They have long, blocky faces, with a much longer snout than native North American sheep. Their ears are long and relatively pointed, more like a mountain goat than a sheep. Their copper-colored bodies are big and blocky, a build that offers an indicator of how tough they are to kill.

Their horns do not curl like those of native sheep do, but rather sweep out, back, and down, each forming a sort of crescent shape. Like other sheep, both sexes have horns, but the ewes are considerably smaller. Mature rams will have a horn length from 27 inches up to maybe 35 inches, although realistic expectations for a trophy are in the 27 to 30 inch range.

An equally compelling part of the trophy are the chaps and beard of a ram — long, flowing blond hair that cascades from the front of the ram’s neck and from his front legs all the way down to the knee.

The first day we hunted we easily saw over 100 animals, including some nice rams. But we could never get closer than 350 yards in the wide open country, and even then, that was only for a moment.

Hoov's Sheep.
On the second day, the three of us returned to an area that had held a big mixed herd and a bachelor band of large rams the day before. Chris went one way to glass, and Kent and I went another. Kent quickly spotted a pair of rams moving across an adjacent ridge. At which point he had a catastrophic need to have a bowel movement. The rams were moving fast, so I took off after them alone.

They stayed about 250 yards ahead of me, and everytime I would see them, they'd just be dropping over a ridge. This cat-and-mouse continued for several ridges. After about a mile, I finally caught up to them at the bottom of a draw. A herd of about a dozen mulies was on the far side of the draw. The mulies were staring right at me, but hadn't spooked ... so far.

The rams were moving steadily away from me in a straight line. I put down the legs on my Harris bipod, and settled in behind my .300 WinMag. The lead ram stopped for a moment, and I lined up for the only shot I was going to get before they climbed out of this draw and dropped over the next ridge — a 200-yard shot along the spine of the biggest ram.

I took the shot, lost my sight picture during the recoil, and then tried to sort out the resulting chaos. One ram was charging up out of the basin to the left, and mulies were scattering all over the place. I was sure I had dropped my ram in his tracks, but couldn't see him in the tall grass.

Kent suddenly came up to me, having been following behind me as I tried to catch up to the rams. We started searching for my ram, and Chris soon joined us as well. The ram had not dropped in his tracks as planned. Kent followed the trail of the ram I had seen running off, and Chris and I followed the direction of travel the sheep had originally been taking.

Chris picked up a profuse blood trail fairly quickly on the rocky soil, and after about 200 yards, spotted the ram bedded 100 yards ahead of us in a patch of cholla cactus. The ram jumped up, and I made a hurried off-hand shot that hit him in the liver, flipping him over and putting him down. Kent came up and we all moved towards the cholla patch.

As we approached the ram, his horn twitched. In an instant, he was up and running low through the cholla patch. I was stunned. I had put two kill shots in him, and he was still moving.

We tracked him through the cholla to a fence line. Moving through the chest-high cholla after such a tough animal, I felt more like I was pursuing a wounded Cape Buffalo than a Barbary Sheep. Kent went one direction along the fence, and I took the other. Neither of us found blood. So we hopped the fence, and immediately found some more blood. I couldn't believe that this mortally wounded animal had chosen to jump the fence rather than travel along it.

The three of us started scouring the open country for my sheep. It took a good 15 minutes before I bumped in to him and kicked him off his bed. He took off running, amazingly, yet again. Kent and I both fired to put him down. Kent made a nice ear shot (thanks, Kent), but my shot through his vitals was the one that dropped him. STILL, he was moving when I approached him, and I made another finishing shot from short range.

I have never, never hunted such a tough animal. My first shot had been through his neck, about an inch from his spine, causing profuse bleeding. In total, I made 4 shots on him that I believe would have been immediately fatal to any other animal I've ever hunted.

We took pictures, caped him, and packed the meat back to the truck. Our respect for these tough desert sheep was immense.

Kent's Sheep.
After putting my ram on ice, we moved to another part of the ranch to check it for sheep. Chris stayed with his truck to cape my ram, and Kent and I set off in my truck. We parked and climbed a ridge to glass, immediately bumping a lone ram.

The ram took off over the next ridge, mildly spooked. We figured he was lost to us, but weren't seeing much else, so we followed him to see how far he had run. When we topped the ridge, there he was, on the next ridge, crossing over it. So we repeated the process a couple times, always one ridge behind him.

When we carefully topped the last ridge, Kent suddenly said "I smell sheep."

"That's me" I pointed out, rolling my eyes. I was covered in sheep blood from my ram of a few hours ago and could smell the ram's distinctive scent all over me.

As soon as I said it, though, we spotted the ram, only about 60 yards away from us on the ridge.

We hit the deck. Luckily, the wind was with us, and we had seen the ram before he saw us. He was very stationary, apparently bedded. So Kent set up on his shooting sticks with his .30-06 to wait for the ram to stand.

And we waited, and waited, and waited. After about an hour, Kent asked me to ease up and glass the ram.

As I did, I quickly realized that the sheep was standing.

"He's standing, broadside, facing to the left," I whispered. "Stand up and kill him."

"What?"

We had been waiting on the ram so long that it took a second for Kent to adjust to the fact that the ram was now standing.

"Stand up and kill him," I quietly reiterated.

Kent stood, took an off-hand shot, and after only a few seconds reported that the ram was down. After our earlier experience with my ram, neither of us could believe that the ram could really be down that easy. I lept up and we sprinted towards him in case he suddenly got back up.

But the ram was down. The 165 grain Ballistic Tip had not exited. We started taking pictures, but still half-expected the ram to jump back up and start running.

Kent's sheep was almost an identical twin to mine. Both had 28" horns and 14" bases. The chaps and beard were gorgeous on both. Kent had to fly home, so I took both sheep home with me and dropped them off with Jonas Taxidermy in Broomfield, CO. Jonas is a top-shelf operation, and they make their own forms. I requested that they add some leg extensions to the basic aoudad head-and-shoulder form so that the chaps could be included as part of the mount. For a nominal fee (about $150 each), they custom-made forms to suit our request. It was a great decision. The chaps are an excellent part of the trophy for a Barbary Sheep.

I took the meat from both sheep back to Denver to get processed. The taste is good, but the meat is tough. It made for excellent sausage.

Barbary sheep proved to be a fun, challenging off-season hunt for a beautiful animal. The hunt is particularly enjoyable when it's for wild, free-range animals. I won't get down to New Mexico to hunt them often, but I'm glad I did, and a return trip to hunt them again is definitely possible. Chris Flanagan's semi-guided package was affordable, and provided just the right level of support for those who prefer to do things themselves, but are new to barbary sheep hunting.

Chris Flanagan is now guiding for Cedar Creek Outfitters of Logan, NM. For a 2009/2010 season forecast from Cedar Creek Outfitters, see our January 5th update. To contact Cedar Creek Outfitters, visit their website at www.cedarcreekhunts.com.

More Updates from Hunt The West ...

Don't want to miss the latest updates?
Sign-up for a free subscription and we'll bring the news to you ...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum