Texas Hunting Forum

water buffalo eating

Posted By: RAM Outdoor

water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 03:41 PM

just curious what some of the opinions are on the meat on a cow water buffalo? thx
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 03:59 PM

it's very good. I shot a big old water buff and the meat was good. the steaks were kind of tough but good.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 05:17 PM

I would like to hunt one with my bow.
Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 07:59 PM

It was good eating just did not get that much meat, compared to an elk.
Posted By: JPHunting

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 09:45 PM

six_anthonys - I think you're processor must have kept most of it for himself, unlesss your wter buffalo are different to ours you should have got as much as you'd get off a cow!

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 10:05 PM

water buffalo should be a good deal bigger than elk. I shot this one and it weighed a hair under 2,000 pounds. We got approx 600lbs of meat.

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 10:17 PM

I thought it was the worst meat I ever had. Shot a big cow and the meat was so greasy it left a film of grease on the roof of your mouth..
Posted By: Rickey Hunt

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 10:42 PM

Most of my protein I eat is water buffalo. It is great. It is lean and higher protein than beef. When I cook the hamburger there is absolutely no grease in the pan. There are numerous strains of Asian Water Buffalo, but the River Water Buffalo is fantastic. Pic below is one of our cows that a hunter took. They get big!

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 10:44 PM

mine wasn't greasy either.
Posted By: Coloradoyaler

Re: water buffalo eating - 11/03/14 11:55 PM

I have harvested five bison for the freezer. This Water buffalo has been better eating than all of them! Tonight we are eating ham steaks the processor WRS Ranch recommended. My wife put them in the crock pot and they are great!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum