Texas Hunting Forum

Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday

Posted By: chital_shikari

Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 03:33 AM

So I know y’all are anxious to see pictures and know the outcome of the Sharp Shooting Shikaris Hunting Club’s first official hunt at Forister Exotics, so I’ll tell it to y’all from the start. Here's Friday with Thursday evening.

Thursday evening, my dad and I grab a few things and pull back into the house right as my cousin’s birthday party is starting. It takes forever for them to leave and for us to start packing. Lo and behold, my uncle and cousin show up and we load up there stuff into the Suburban as well.

The next morning we were all up and about by 4:45 AM, getting food & tea ready and waiting for our fourth passenger, Teacher, to arrive. At exactly 4:55 AM I call him to ask where he is (he lives 15-20 min away) and he pulls up to our house a minute later. Dad grabs his stuff and positions all of our stuff together in the trunk. Although we leave 15 minutes late, we arrive at the Rendevous point (Columbus City Park) at the ETA. The 3 SUVs exchanged passengers and food (cholay, parathas, and keema) , and soon we were back on the remaining 4 hour trip, according to the navigation system, to Forister Exotics in Rocksprings, TX.

Along the way, I realized that I had no scent cover! That is a necessity for bowhunting, because then the animals can smell you. We elected to stop at the San Antonio Academy to buy this, ThermaCell insect repeller, and hunting licenses for the newbies. Once we got there, I remembered that I had forgotten my hat at home. i grabbed a Texas A&M hat, 2 Gatorades, Scent Killer, and ear plugs, took them to the counter, paid, and got into the Suburban. After a short wait, everybody was securely in their respective vehicles and we were on our way.

After reaching Kerrville, I called Mr. Pope, the manager, however, the call didn’t go through (spotty cell service), so he texted me directions.

“Signs on right side of road,” read the text. OK. This was good news; the navigation couldn’t find the address, so we were navigating to CR/HWY 41, Rocksprings, TX. We were in for a sweet surprise.

After driving and driving and driving and driving (more like an hour for Kerrville) past high fencing, everybody in the car was surprised by a billboard of the ranch. Then another, and another. BAM! -----> RANCH ENTRANCE.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!! All 3 of the Club’s 7-9 seater SUVs halted, U-turned, and turned into the low fence “front yard”. As we did so, we were met by a shorter, “sun-exposed”, blue eyed man with glasses and a hat. Of course we all knew he was “the guide that chital_shikari was talking to”, Mr. Marcus Pope. After settling into the lodge and signing waivers, we did the most important thing of each day. WE ATE!!! Sandwiches, biryani, rolls/burritos/tacos, and other Desi delicacies filled the table. After that, I went and practiced a few crucial last second shots at 25 and 30 yards. Thank God I did that, because it helped me realize that my bow was being affected by even the smallest wind. I made the ethical decision not to shoot at 30yd and at 25 only if conditions were perfect. When I got back indoors, the adults were done eating and drinking tea, and it was almost time to leave-stand hunting was from 5-sundown-so all I had to do was replace my “practice” heads with new ones and pull on my hunting outfit. (Note: I put my hunting clothes and RF in my bow case to keep scent away from lounge clothes and sprayed them down with Scent Killer when I removed my bow) However, the rifle hunters had to check there guns first.

We all piled into the truck, rifles, optics and ammunition and of course ourselves, and went into the ranch and began to shoot. Teacher got sighted in with my dad’s Weatherby 30-06, then FD, SU, Dr1, Dr2, and Friend all took turns. I sighted in my friend’s Savage 243 and spotted for SU’s M700 25-06. Finally, as we were running late, we got back

Although I was dropped off last, i only remember the few eland that were at my stand as we pulled up to it. I got all settled in around 6, and the wait was on.

Literally, that’s all it was. I had a roadrunner and other birds come in and eat the corn that mr. pope spread around through is truck mounted feeder, but that’s all. I enjoyed it thoroughly, so I neither happy, nor sad about it. However, I did hear a couple of shots.
Back at the skinning station we have a BB yearling (30-06), and a nice aoudad ram (25-06). The BB was shot at 188yd by a newbie! After photography, betting on weight of ram, and helping out, we all headed back to the lodge for a much needed meal and sleep. Prior to doing so, however, hunters discussed strategy for the rest of the weekend and most, except for yours truly, Friend, and friend’s dad (FD for short), decided to sleep in. I hit the sack and barely heard the 4:45 alarm the next morning!

I'm really busy so have only gotten 3/4 or maybe 2/3 through Saturday, so when I'm done, I'll post that up. Pictures will be separate thread.

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 10:22 PM

Come on y'all. Askin for my report and I give you some of it and don't get any feedback? seriously y'all?!?1
Posted By: bradyf

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 10:42 PM

sounds good so far. I have a group going down to hunt with Mr Pope in Feb. Not sure what ranch but cant wait. looking forward to hearing the rest of your story.
Posted By: the lab

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 10:44 PM

great report so far, sounds like a great trip.........when do we get part 2???

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bradyf
sounds good so far. I have a group going down to hunt with Mr Pope in Feb. Not sure what ranch but cant wait. looking forward to hearing the rest of your story.
Depends on what you're after. Most of the bowhunting and "common" exotics are on the Edwards county one, and the super exotics + commons are on the other one.

Originally Posted By: the lab
great report so far, sounds like a great trip.........when do we get part 2???
I'm actually about to start working on it. After I finish this darned Pre-AP Geometry HW!!

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 10:57 PM

This has some grammar mistakes that ill fix when I turn it in for my EngII essay in a few weeks lol.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 08/28/14 11:10 PM

Keep up the reports.
Posted By: Hen-Man

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 09/23/14 07:25 PM

Did you finish Part II?
Posted By: therancher

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 09/23/14 08:20 PM

Yeah where's the pics as well?

Re: Forister Exotics hunt report-Part I/Friday - 12/06/14 10:32 PM

Have I posted pics? I don't remember, but will do soon. Maybe later today. Will also put up part II. Sophomore year and jiu jitsu and hunting season just have me so busy!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum