Texas Hunting Forum

Keeping exotic rams

Posted By: Taylormade

Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:08 AM

My father and I are looking into purchasing about 200 acres near trinity Texas. The fencing is 4.5 feet and 5wire. It has access to a lot of water and has a ton of grazing room. We both wanted to put some cheaper exotics on the place and figured that some exotic rams and goats would fit the bill. We were wondering if the fencing would be sufficient for some possible black Hawaiians Texas dalls Corsicans painted deserts and Catalina's? We where also wondering where a good place might be to purchase some young rams and ewes? Thanks for the replies
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:15 AM

I had similar thoughts about our place few years back and asked some of the guys here. The over-whelming response I got back was that coyotes would be the #1 concern, not so much the fence.
Posted By: Rickey Hunt

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:17 AM

You will need to put up field fence (net wire) to contain them.
Posted By: don k

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:18 AM

I would seriously doubt if you could keep anything in a four and a half foot five barb wire fence except tame cows.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I would seriously doubt if you could keep anything in a four and a half foot five barb wire fence except tame cows.
X100 I wouldnt go with anything less than a mess type fence at 4' but I dont take chance and run HF for everything.
Posted By: colonel62

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:41 AM

I'd be careful about putting ewes in the same enclosure. I think the rams would stay busted up from fighting.

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 12:57 AM

Thank you all for the posts. All very helpful... I guess we will also have too look into better fencing. Also we can cross fence some of the sections of the ranch and I was wondering if keeping the rams and ewes in different pastures would eliminate too busted up rams? Also where would be a good place to buy some rams and goats?

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 01:02 AM

Buying depends on what you want to do with them, if your trying to breed more pure stock stay away from the auctions, if you just want to buy raise to sell or hunt id go to the auctions or ask around here, there are alot of good guys to buy from here.
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 02:13 AM

With sheep and goats , throw a bucket of water at the fence , anywhere the water goes thru they will also

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/23/13 02:57 AM

Ok thanks for the help!
Posted By: dilleydog7

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/25/13 03:53 AM

I always release mine on the outside my fence, next thing you know, they are on my place thinkin they got away. FREE cowboy logic!

Re: Keeping exotic rams - 01/25/13 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: dilleydog7
I always release mine on the outside my fence, next thing you know, they are on my place thinkin they got away. FREE cowboy logic!
LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum