Texas Hunting Forum

Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area

Posted By: okjhutch

Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area - 07/21/12 07:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of exotics

are at Hill Country State Natural Area down there south of

Bandera. Is there a big huntable herd or slim picins. I noticed

it listed in the draw hunt book and wondered if it would be

worth it or would I be wasting my time and preference points.

Thanks

Posted By: nsmike

Re: Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area - 07/21/12 09:42 PM

I didn't see any stats for exotics here's the stats for the Either Sex Deer Hunt. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/statistics/2010/

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area - 07/21/12 09:54 PM

The folks I spoke with by phone last year in doing the research for where I was going to put in for...gave me an answer that 'caused me to look elsewhere than Hill Country for several reasons. Remember how bad the drought affected Central Texas. The lady informed me that they are/were going thru a major road project and were also updating other facilities to enhance their WMA experience over all, that she expected better access from the updated road system in the future would provide better harvest numbers.
That was last year about this time of the year, and I'd suggest a phone call followup in late August would give you better insight on the OP's concerns.
Cheers
Ron

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area - 07/21/12 11:36 PM

I have hunted a lot of different places on drawn hunts. Only two places I have seen exotics. Both times were axis deer. The places were Kerr WMA and Enchanted Rock SNA. Good luck on your hunts.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Exotics at Hill Country State Natural Area - 07/22/12 12:07 AM

Hunted there once a few years ago. Had fun, killed three deer. Saw no exotics and neither did anyone else.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum