Texas Hunting Forum

The Wildlife Ranch

Posted By: huntingbig8

The Wildlife Ranch - 01/05/12 08:43 PM

Can anyone give me some info about The Wildlife ranch in Mason? I am looking at taking my son down there for a Ram hunt and wondering what kind of operation it is.

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/05/12 09:06 PM

I think you would have a more enjoyable time and rememberable experience choosing another operation. UNLESS things have changed since I went there when I was a teen about 10 years ago, then I would NEVER recommend them to anybody.

There are many other outfitters, even on this site, that offer comparable prices of the wildlife ranch.

Good luck!

Posted By: heathe

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/05/12 09:08 PM

yea it has not changed a bit sam killing style. Not much of a hunt.

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/05/12 09:09 PM

I would steer clear of them as well. I've heard a lot of horror stories. You'd be better off going to Thompson Temples place for a ram hunt. I think Koon's Canyon also may have some good specials going on? Check out www.allaboutexotics.com and you can search outfitters there for ram hunts.

Posted By: PlastikBulletz

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/05/12 09:14 PM

If your kid is young, impatient and you really want him to get something, go. Its cheap, and there are a lot of animals to choose from, there is no chance he wont get something.

IF you want to do something a little more challenging and dont mind paying, then go somewhere else.

Posted By: Mr.Broadhead

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 12:24 AM

Just got back from Koon's.....Great place, great people, great animals. One impatient boy of mine took a nice ram. The other boy hunted hard for a nice Axis (on the first hunt he passed on a 30inch in velvet Axis) till the last day, he then went after BB and missed a nice one, then settled on a Nice Ram. I took a nice Red Stag and that took some hunting to find him. We will be going back there.

Posted By: Mr.Broadhead

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 12:25 AM

Just got back from Koon's.....Great place, great people, great animals. One impatient boy of mine took a nice ram. The other boy hunted hard for a nice Axis (on the first hunt he passed on a 30inch in velvet Axis) till the last day, he then went after BB and missed a nice one, then settled on a Nice Ram. I took a nice Red Stag and that took some hunting to find him. We will be going back there.

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: PlastikBulletz
If your kid is young, impatient and you really want him to get something, go. Its cheap, and there are a lot of animals to choose from, there is no chance he wont get something.

IF you want to do something a little more challenging and dont mind paying, then go somewhere else.

up

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr.Broadhead

X2 for Koon's. Hunted there several times and had a blast each and everytime. Shot some very nice animals as well.

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 04:25 AM

Thanks for all of the posts and opinions. I will for sure ck these places out.

Posted By: don k

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 01:43 PM

Also check out CLWILDLIFE. Tyson is a good guy and I'm sure would give you and your son a good hunt.

Posted By: RLoving1

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/06/12 03:19 PM

If your bowhunting take a look at Diamond C just south of you at Caddo!Like has been said many good outfitters on here with positive feedback to look at. up

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/07/12 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Hill Country Hunter
Originally Posted By: PlastikBulletz

up

Took my daughter to there once. Won't do it again. Hit up DB Hunting. Much better place!

Posted By: B-Man

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/07/12 04:58 AM

Triple A Outfitters in Carthage did an amazing gold medal ram hunt. Billy and his boys are top notch!

www.tripleaoutfitters.com

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/08/12 04:41 AM

Thanks again!

Posted By: Geologist

Re: The Wildlife Ranch - 01/20/13 04:00 AM

Terrible experience! Went on an Elk “hunt.” Prices were up to $1500 for management bulls and from $1500 for “trophies.” When you get there, only spikes are “managements.” I opted for the management bull as a “meat hunt.” This is a 100% canned hunt, in the sense they release the one small Elk herd from a small pen into a larger pen. You drive right up on the animal, he looks at you curiously while chewing his cud, you chase away the others elk, and then you shoot him. That was bit of a let down….. but what really depressing is then they want to charge you $40 to gut it, then $80 to skin it, then they want $700 to grind it all into hamburger meat. I finally said no way on the $700 meat grinding and left to make arrangements at another meat processor. When I get back, the guide asked me what I thought a fair price would be to do the processing. I said $400, thinking it would surely be rejected…..I was wrong. That little voice in the back of my head went off saying, “you still getting slammed” but they had me at that point. Well, to make a long story short, I come back after 4 weeks to pick up 48 lbs of elk hamburger meat from a 800 lbs bull elk. That’s about 12% of the field dress weight-I guess they did a real shotty job cutting meat off the bone!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum