Texas Hunting Forum

Red Dot

Posted By: JMorgan321

Red Dot - 04/29/18 08:15 PM

Any of y'all using a red dot? Pros vs cons?
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Red Dot - 04/29/18 08:48 PM

I am using one and very happy with it. It is smaller and lighter than a scope.
Only con is magnification
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Red Dot - 05/01/18 03:36 PM

Three or four years ago Barney Who finally convinced me to change my turkey set up from a 12 Gauge Benelli with straight vent rib and bead to a nice light weight 20 gauge with a red dot and then run some of those TSS thermo nuclear loads thru it. Best choice ever! grin I put a dual Red/Green Truglo sight on it (no magnification) an it has been flawless and believe me, a 20 gauge with TSS #7 will slobber knock birds out to 50 yards (longest I have shot with it). Only con is remembering to turn it on. Twice I have been float calling the ranch roads and struck a bird that was within 50 or 60 yards that came sprinting to the clucks or yelps and oops….no glowing dot because of operator error crazy and no shot. I also carry an extra battery in my vest just in case one dies on me but have not had a problem with that happening since I check it out pretty good before the season starts.

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Red Dot - 05/01/18 03:52 PM

Why I still use rifle sights on my turkey guns. They need a pressure sensitive switch somewhat like tacticool stuff for red dots.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Red Dot - 05/01/18 11:25 PM

I like mine. The only issue is remembering to turn it off after the shot. My point of aim and point of impact with the standard bead on my 870 were different, prompting the move to a red dot.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Red Dot - 05/02/18 01:16 PM

Seven shot??? I shoot 6's in my 20 gauge and that is what I normally hunt with. In the old days when I was really mad at them, I used 5's in my 12.
I am not sure that I have seen 7 shot around here, do you special order it???
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Red Dot - 05/02/18 02:00 PM

I run Burris Fast Fires on all my turkey guns as do friends/family. We've been really happy with them.

Re: Red Dot - 05/02/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
a 20 gauge with TSS #7 will slobber knock birds out to 50 yards

Yes they will, but 7s are OVERKILL unless the state law mandates it which is stupid with today's shot technology. Go to 9s or 9.5s if you can find them. More pattern density and will break leg and wing bones at 50 yards. up
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Red Dot - 05/02/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
a 20 gauge with TSS #7 will slobber knock birds out to 50 yards

Yes they will, but 7s are OVERKILL unless the state law mandates it which is stupid with today's shot technology. Go to 9s or 9.5s if you can find them. More pattern density and will break leg and wing bones at 50 yards. up

Yeah, yeah but I like overkill. Unlike Gary, I'm still mad at them grin If you'd just spare me a couple of 9's rounds you re-load I'll be able to give them a "test" run. Until then I'll stick with overkill...they have proven extremely effective smirk Birds done on your place BWho?

Oh back to original thread...Burris red dot...GOOD! May top mine with one but I'm just so damn rough on my rig when I get on bird I'm afraid I'd bust it up.....

Re: Red Dot - 05/02/18 03:41 PM

Birds were still with hens on the OK place last weekend. I'll know more about our TX place this Friday. smile

Oh back to original thread...Burris red dot...GOOD! May top mine with one but I'm just so damn rough on my rig when I get on bird I'm afraid I'd bust it up.....

Notice the guard around my Burris? I'm not easy on my turkey guns either.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Red Dot - 05/03/18 09:30 AM

Birds were still with hens on the OK place last weekend. I'll know more about our TX place this Friday. smile

I've never seen so many henned up gobblers this late in OK before. Then again, I've never seen it this cold and windy this late in the season either.

Re: Red Dot - 05/03/18 10:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be adding one to my 870.

Sweet camo job!
Posted By: howl

Re: Red Dot - 05/05/18 09:34 PM

There are plenty of red dots out now that have such long battery life you can leave them on all the time and not worry about it running down. Some of them go 50,000 hours. If a sight goes several thousand hours, one battery will last you an entire turkey season if you turn it on when it comes out of the case and off when you head home.

Another detail is how the dot looks depends on your eyesight. Most all of them look like a smudge or star to me. The only one that looks like it does in the catalog, when I look through it, is the Leupold Deltapoint Pro with the triangle dot. Your eyes might see most of them clearly or they might not. I'm just saying go look through it at the store before you buy one so you don't have one sent to the house and think there's something wrong with it.

If you're going to mount on an 870, consider that if you mount it on the receiver, the barrel might move around after you zero it. You could crank on it to make sure the barrel is super tight and not take it off all season. But, if you take it off after season to clean then you might have to re-zero. If you're using expensive heavy recoiling turkey shells that is a hassle. Mounting on the barrel should avoid the problem if you don't put too much tension on the barrel when you put it back on. Its one of those things you have to work with to make it work for you.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Red Dot - 05/06/18 04:54 PM

Mine is mounted in the receiver and has held a good zero throughout the season, including sitting on a gun rack of an ATV riding through some pretty rough country. I made the mistake of leaving the red dot on, and it was completely dead two weeks later. The sight is a bushnell trs-25 and the dot is very small/precise with no starring around he edges. Just have to remember to turn it off after the shot. It probably is a good idea to rezero at the beginning of every season.

Re: Red Dot - 05/07/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

I've never seen so many henned up gobblers this late in OK before. Then again, I've never seen it this cold and windy this late in the season either.

Pretty much exactly what we saw this weekend in OK and TX. Saw one bird with 12 hens. Very little gobbling and all strutters have multiple hens. Never seen anything like it this late in the season.

Re: Red Dot - 05/07/18 11:16 PM

Ok, it looks like yall are mounting on the receiver. Did you go to gunsmith(or self) or just bought it that way? This was my duck gun but I was having ejection problems with it. I was thinking a saddle mount?

Howl, I mostly hunt public within the DFW area...it's not a target rich environment. Well, maybe for some it is, but as for me, I'm not the greatest woodsmen either!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum