Texas Hunting Forum

When they stop gobbling ?

Posted By: chrswr

When they stop gobbling ? - 04/18/18 07:39 PM

I was out last weekend, first time out this year - only 2nd year of turkey hunting

I was about 100 years from where they were, with a group of cedars between us. I never saw them, but they were close. It was just getting light, 7-730ish. I dont know if they were still in the trees roosting or on the ground.

I was moving silently and slowly between trees trying to get closer, with the same group of cedars between us.

Then, the gobbling just stopped. and never started again. I gave it an hour as i stayed in the same spot, then came out and looked around. No turkey.

Is it likely I got made, or did they just get occupied with hens and go another direction??? Best guess....?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/18/18 09:06 PM

I don't get out until 8 to 9. Normally kill turkey 11 to 2 pm. You won't call them away from the roost that early normally. They have hens with them.

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/18/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I don't get out until 8 to 9. Normally kill turkey 11 to 2 pm. You won't call them away from the roost that early normally. They have hens with them.

Really??? That late? Is that the norm?
Posted By: bcoglegolf

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/18/18 10:31 PM

yep
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/19/18 11:34 AM

I stalk them

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/19/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I stalk them

Slow and steady in complete camo?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/19/18 07:11 PM

They either busted you or just left when the hens flew down. You want the wondering hen hungry toms. Hard to call them off of hens.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/19/18 10:39 PM

I'm with 8pt-- you busted em or they went the other direction.

If I have birds gobbling on a limb and it's still dark I will try to move as close as I can. BUT- as soon as there is a bit of light (even a bright moon) I'm gonna stop and get still before I start a fly down sequence... If you were within 100 yards and still moving with some light up good chance you buggered them.

If you know for certain that you didn't-- then wait longer next time. I've had several birds (to include the two biggest) come in DEAD SILENT. After then left their hens- generally 9-10am they'll be looking for love again.
Posted By: huntingdomer

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/20/18 01:29 AM

I was turkey hunting in Coke County this past weekend. We were out there beginning Thursday afternoon. It was hot and windy. We were hunting near a pond that afternoon and didn’t hear or see a single bird.

On Friday morning the wind was howling but we saw about 30 turkeys in an adjoining field that belongs to a neighbor but we couldn’t get them to move toward us. Saturday it was much colder but again the wind was howling. We saw birds but we could’nt get them to respond to our calls or come in our direction.

Late Saturday afternoon I found a spot that looked promising and set up my decoys. I told my son that we would get a turkey on Sunday morning. It was going to be cold but the wind was not going to blowing. On Sunday morning, as we made our way to our spot we heard lots of gobblers. Right around 7:30 or so, they all got quiet. We didn’t see or hear anything. I would call every 10 minutes or so but without any response.

Finally around 8:45, I saw a bird come down the ridge toward the field we were in. At first I thought it was a hen but once he was about 30 yards away in trees on the edge of the field he would gobble back every time I used the hen call. This went on for about 10 minutes before he finally came out of the tree line and into the open field near our decoys. That was his mistake and my son shot his first turkey.

Sorry for the long story.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/20/18 02:43 AM

Congrats! Persistence pays off.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: When they stop gobbling ? - 04/20/18 01:00 PM

Slow and steady
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum