Texas Hunting Forum

evening turkey?

Posted By: lubbockdave

evening turkey? - 04/05/18 12:16 AM

may have a chance to hunt tomorrow evening...any ideas on strategy? Im thinking West TX, drought-might set up at the one pond on our place...
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: evening turkey? - 04/05/18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave
may have a chance to hunt tomorrow evening...any ideas on strategy? Im thinking West TX, drought-might set up at the one pond on our place...

That, or if you know where they roost, set up on a trail that leads to it.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: evening turkey? - 04/15/18 01:21 AM

I've ambushed a few turkeys a couple hundred yards from the roost if I knew where they were used to traveling. With a bow, I'll set up a little closer.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: evening turkey? - 04/15/18 05:01 PM

Look for fresh tracks.
Posted By: Wood Duck

Re: evening turkey? - 04/15/18 10:11 PM

Earlier this year, we chased gobblers all day and finally backed out late afternoon to see them roost in preparation for the next morning. On cue, a couple of gobblers ran down a white rock ranch road and roosted along a creek as suspected. After a 2nd day of chasing uninterested gobblers, we set up a brush blind and set out a hen decoy and a Funky Chicken jake decoy. At almost precisely the same time as the day before, the gobblers appeared on the ranch road with some jakes only this time they were in full strut and ready for business the moment they saw our decoys. We did not call at all and the two dominant gobblers strutted right up to the decoys within easy range to bag my first spring gobbler.

PS I believe the Funky Chicken and hen combo pissed them off judging by their body language and speed at closing the distance to the decoys. It worked this year.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: evening turkey? - 04/16/18 02:48 AM

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: evening turkey? - 04/16/18 10:47 AM

clap

An Eastern no less...good job!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum