Texas Hunting Forum

To Funky Chicken or Not

Posted By: gobblerslayer

To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/21/18 10:39 AM

I have a Funky Chicken decoy and was wondering if I should use it this weekend for youth season or not. In the past I have only used hen decoys and have had success with just those, but was thinking about adding the Funky Chicken this year. I understand if what has been working, why change it up but was looking for opinions on this. Thanks.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/21/18 01:47 PM

I don't see it hurting. I used a full strut decoy this weekend. Toms weren't even interested. The hens were more infatuated with my hen decoys. 2 of the hens stayed around and fought with the decoys for a couple of hours after all the others had left. Toms were more interested in the real thing moving around than the stationary decoys.

Where I see a real difference is when a single or a couple of Toms come in all alone.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/21/18 03:19 PM

The decoys will be more effective this time of the year latrr in the morning like after 9:30 to in the afternoon when lots of the gobblers with hens will start looking for new girlfriends
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/21/18 07:42 PM

I would use it.
Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/22/18 02:54 AM

Nothing ventured nothing gained
Posted By: Gattle Country

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/23/18 01:18 PM

I have used it with no success.
Posted By: CTX Mav

Re: To Funky Chicken or Not - 03/25/18 01:58 AM

Funky chicken is awesome in the right setup. Put a hen down on the ground and have the funky one about 2 feet behind her looking at her. Keep both decoys looking away from where you think the Tom is coming in. When the Tom sees him, he will get irritated they don’t turn around to look at him and he will come in.

If you don’t set the decoys looking away, the birds may hang up when they don’t see the funky chicken run off.

At least this has been my experience.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum