Texas Hunting Forum

God as my witness...

Posted By: Gamblinman

God as my witness... - 03/17/18 03:01 PM

....I've never heard turkeys be this quiet on opening day in South Texas.
Posted By: howl

Re: God as my witness... - 03/17/18 03:23 PM

Real quiet in GA this morning, too. I heard somewhere in SC they were tearing it up, though.
Posted By: TripleE

Re: God as my witness... - 03/18/18 03:01 AM

Yes indeed. Never heard a gobble. Finally had 4 gobblers show up in front of the decoys without saying a word this afternoon and after 2 hours of soft calling. Saw the big boy in a field with all the ladies. Fiancé got her 1st bird ever at 21 yards.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: God as my witness... - 03/18/18 12:21 PM

A friend of mine is hunting in Mississippi and after day one he hasn't heard a single bird gobble.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: God as my witness... - 03/18/18 05:09 PM

Went for an early morning hog hunt today. Waiting for it to get light out they were gobbling in the roost. I was playing with them. Chased hogs for a while and found none, so I went back to find the turkeys on the ground and not a peep. Not sure where they went or why I couldn't get a gobble from them.
Posted By: TripleE

Re: God as my witness... - 03/19/18 01:11 AM

Three roosts gobbled good on the limb this morning but never said another word after hitting the ground. Found them in a field at 9am and sealed the deal with a jake fan on my decoy. Jim Wells County
Posted By: P&Y Bowhunter

Re: God as my witness... - 03/19/18 02:33 AM

When they gobble on roost and then quiet after fly down, you can just about figure they are hened up.

Re: God as my witness... - 03/21/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: P&Y Bowhunter
When they gobble on roost and then quiet after fly down, you can just about figure they are hened up.

No doubt. Last year, they were further along than this year. Turkey numbers were down on the ranch this year also. I missed a whole group of birds this year that came from a different location.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: God as my witness... - 03/21/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

No doubt. Last year, they were further along than this year. Turkey numbers were down on the ranch this year also. I missed a whole group of birds this year that came from a different location.

That's my experience too. I wonder if the drought conditions may have something to do with it as well. Normally this time of year there are running creeks and full tanks on my lease. This year, the largest tank (which is also the most open one that the turkeys and other game usually avoid) is the only one left and it's down to a muddy puddle. I suspect many of the birds, especially the laying hens, have moved off to the few semi-permanent water sources in the area.

Re: God as my witness... - 03/21/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad Max
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

That's my experience too. I wonder if the drought conditions may have something to do with it as well. Normally this time of year there are running creeks and full tanks on my lease. This year, the largest tank (which is also the most open one that the turkeys and other game usually avoid) is the only one left and it's down to a muddy puddle. I suspect many of the birds, especially the laying hens, have moved off to the few semi-permanent water sources in the area.

I had the same thoughts.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum