Texas Hunting Forum

Late season

Posted By: ELKMTB

Late season - 04/19/17 01:33 AM

Seems like this season started later than usual. Seems awefully quiet out there. wondering if the late season and warm temps kicked off the breeding season early?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Late season - 04/20/17 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ELKMTB
Seems like this season started later than usual. Seems awefully quiet out there. wondering if the late season and warm temps kicked off the breeding season early?

I have no doubt they started early this year but seasons are set so most of the actual breeding is done before season. It is not over though hang in there still time left and little competition with real hens that are paying attention to gobblers so it can be good late season
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Late season - 04/20/17 12:09 PM

I kinda like this time of the season the best. Now you can get the mature toms whose hens are laying or nesting to respond to the call better. Gotta watch out for those silent toms.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Late season - 04/23/17 11:56 PM

I just got back from South Texas and the birds I encountered were still hen'ed up. Shot a Tom this morning that had 3 hens with him. And once they came off the roost, they got lock jaw.
Posted By: DBDyer

Re: Late season - 04/24/17 10:28 PM

We got 2 in McCulloch County this last weekend, less than 20 yards each, and another guy spit the bit and missed one at 15 yards. All birds were late morning call-ins that we found doing walk and call maneuvers, one gobbled once and the others came in quiet. They were gobbling right off the roost both days and then went silent, I believe they found hens before they found us, so we had to wait until their morning romance ended. The key was to stay patient through the lull and not quit. Plus a lot of luck.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Late season - 04/25/17 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I kinda like this time of the season the best. Now you can get the mature toms whose hens are laying or nesting to respond to the call better. Gotta watch out for those silent toms.

x 2 on the Silent Toms. I've been busted a couple of times by them. eek2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum