Texas Hunting Forum

Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ?

Posted By: StephensCnty308

Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 12:03 AM

I have a question I am nowhere near new to turkey hunting as every spring I have always hunted with my bow as it' was really the only way I ever had a way of doing so. Three months ago I purchased a Benelli super Black Eagle two and took up duckhunting after deer season was over. I guess you can say since I own my own property now I'm utilizing most every season there is and having the time of my life !
I understand most turkey shotguns have short barrels i'm guessing as it is easier to carry it in the woods however I was wondering is there any reason why I cannot use the current shotgun that I have ? At least for this season ?
I'm debating on purchasing a shorter barrel so I can do other things with my shotgun however I was just curious with my shotgun being a 28 inch barrel and Max five duck camo there be any reason why I could not use it ?

Also what is a good turkey choke ? And load

Thanks
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 12:11 AM

Use it, I use mine with #4 or #5 shot. I also take a 22-250 along for what might be a long shot.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 12:25 AM

28' barrel is fine, get you some Winchester Long Beard shells. 4,5,6 what ever you like.
Get a Trulock Turkey choke made for Long beard shells, They make them specific for the size shot you want, 4,5,6. pattern the gun at 20 yards 30 , 40 . don't be surprised if it shoots high or low. Forrest
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Drahthaar
28' barrel is fine, get you some Winchester Long Beard shells. 4,5,6 what ever you like.
Get a Trulock Turkey choke made for Long beard shells, They make them specific for the size shot you want, 4,5,6. pattern the gun at 20 yards 30 , 40 . don't be surprised if it shoots high or low. Forrest

Thank you for the response!

Don't mind me asking why may it shoot high or low?
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 01:29 AM

I use my beretta 3901 all the time. Barrel length is personally not that big of a deal to me. I bought an SX3 last year so will try that this year or my .22
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/16/17 01:58 AM

Barrel length is a non-issue with todays loads. For lead, I like the Longbeards. For HTL, I like the Federal Heavyweight. TruLock makes specific chokes for each load.

Whatever you shoot, Pattern your gun before season and make sure your point of impact is the same as your point of aim.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/17/17 12:21 AM

Some guns shoot high, some shoot low, some shoot dead on. has a lot to do with the shooter how you get down on the gun. Forrest
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/17/17 12:59 AM

An old man I hunted with in Mississippi that really got me into turkey hunting never patterned his gun but missed a few turkeys every year. Finally his son patterned the turkey gun and missed an open full page of news paper at 30 yards off to the left. I do not know how many turkey got away from him over the years but it was quite a few.
Posted By: WyoHunter

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/23/17 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Barrel length is a non-issue with todays loads. For lead, I like the Longbeards. For HTL, I like the Federal Heavyweight. TruLock makes specific chokes for each load.

Whatever you shoot, Pattern your gun before season and make sure your point of impact is the same as your point of aim.
Great advice. My choice in HTL is Hevi-13 7s. It's what your gun likes that is most important.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Questions pertaining a shotgun for turkey hunting ? - 03/24/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

more important than any thing else. elmer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum