Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey sightings

Posted By: krmitchell

Turkey sightings - 10/16/16 03:48 AM

Went to the lease in San Saba today and ran across what had to be 50 hens in total. No gobblers but a bunch of youngins and they obviously didn't realize the season starts in a couple weeks. Was within 50 yards of them easy. Good to see the numbers out in the open this early on.

Short video from the ones on the county road in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7O3RYb4XV4

Hard to tell from a cell phone pic but they were all hanging out under this oak tree.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Turkey sightings - 10/26/16 09:16 PM

Nice! up
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey sightings - 10/27/16 12:08 PM

clap

Spring '17 can't get here fast enough

Re: Turkey sightings - 10/27/16 04:57 PM

Hopefully they don't disappear like they did last year when the season opened up. Didn't see a sign of a turkey until the spring then they were everywhere.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey sightings - 10/28/16 12:43 PM

That is not uncommon. Turkeys bunch up in fall/winter, and break and spread in spring/summer. Best bet is to provide an environment with food and cover...they may be enticed to hang around more.

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/01/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
That is not uncommon. Turkeys bunch up in fall/winter, and break and spread in spring/summer. Best bet is to provide an environment with food and cover...they may be enticed to hang around more.

We have 7 feeder going right now, the food is there. Neighbor has a little better cover, they roost in his pasture then jump the road and come to our for breakfast.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/02/16 02:09 PM

I was up at my uncles place in Adamsville this past weekend we saw lots of turkeys (and deer)....place was covered up.... up
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/02/16 06:59 PM

we see few turkey at our lease in the fall but good numbers in the spring.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/14/16 02:06 AM

Dang turkeys are everywhere all of the time. Eating all of the corn.
30 turkeys can clear a feeder of corn that it just threw in a minute. Grrrrr
Posted By: Chief Wood

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/15/16 01:37 PM

I don't have any turkey on my 50 acres in Cass County. How can I build a flock?
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/17/16 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Wood
I don't have any turkey on my 50 acres in Cass County. How can I build a flock?

NW Cass county, 3 weeks ago
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/20/16 04:21 PM

I saw a flock of 30 plus in one of my wheat fields yesterday. They appearantly don't have any hunting pressure on them. They barely moved when they saw us 60 yards away on the Ranger. There were some really nice toms with long beards in the group. We watched them for about 15 minutes and they never cared.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Turkey sightings - 11/29/16 06:43 PM

banana
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Turkey sightings - 12/01/16 03:39 AM

Monday I had a posse of about 10 hens and 2 toms chase all the deer off at the feeder I was hunting. They came running up the hill which spooked all the deer at first. Then when the deer started dribbling back they were fairly aggressive and started chasing the deer away. I thought it was pretty funny until i realized that my shooter buck wasnt coming back. Those turds ruined my hunt mad

I will get my vengeance come springtime. elmer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum