Texas Hunting Forum

What to feed turkeys?

Posted By: crease_flounder

What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 07:07 AM

I just got a free-browse turkey feeder and I'm not sure what to put in it? Birdseed? Cracked corn? Oats? Sunflower seeds? I'd like to find something that the other animals aren't going to find as attractive, but the most important thing is to get the turkeys to eat from it!

Thanks!

Posted By: scot

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 07:20 AM

I've heard milo is good.

Posted By: scot

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 07:20 AM

mine seem to love boring ole corn though

Posted By: mbavo

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 07:40 AM

we use hen scratch. it has milo and cracked corn.

Posted By: cory_cooper

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 07:41 AM

lead # 4's

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 08:52 AM

a guy i know uses hen scratch also, kinda restricts itto turkeys and keeps the deer out of it...and i think the koons too,and the squirrels

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/05/09 09:58 AM

I just mix a 50lb bag of milo with my corn in all 4 of my feeders. The turkey seem to really like it along with all the dove!

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/06/09 07:41 PM

Milo. The hogs apparantly eat it to though... My buddy called me last week and said someone had come in and torn up their 4 turkey feeders and about destroyed them. He thought a new neighbor or poacher but that didn't seem logical. He got one set back up and filled it and the next morning it was torn apart again. Dang hogs! They hadn't bothered them for the 10+ years before they have been there.

Posted By: crease_flounder

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/10/09 01:10 AM

Thanks for the advice! I've got my feeder set up and staked down in a not-so-hoggy area, so hopefully it will hold up. I'm trying 1 bag of chicken scratch and 2 bags of milo to start. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: What to feed turkeys? - 03/10/09 01:15 AM

any seed... corn, milo, sunflower,wheat or oats

if you happen to have a plow, plow up some ground and plant a food plot........ they LOVE to come scratch up all the seed you JUST planted!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum