Texas Hunting Forum

Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations?

Posted By: Sniper John

Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations? - 05/20/16 04:14 PM

As the title says. Have made lots of venison jerky, but never tried using wild turkey. This would be in a commercial size dehydrator and of course have a smoker too.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations? - 05/21/16 02:40 AM

John the best I have made used Alegro Cajun marinade then before dehydrating sprinkle heavy with course ground black pepper. Dehydrated to almost as dry as I wanted it then finish off in the smoker.

Re: Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations? - 05/25/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
John the best I have made used Alegro Cajun marinade then before dehydrating sprinkle heavy with course ground black pepper. Dehydrated to almost as dry as I wanted it then finish off in the smoker.

Thanks, I may try that.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations? - 05/25/16 06:59 PM

I used this stuff back in the fall on my turkey. Dried in a dehydrator.. Better than store bought IMO and will buy again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030HSG4M/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll add that the flavor had plenty of smokeyness to it and glad I didn't throw on the smoker

Re: Any Turkey Jerky seasoning recipe recommendations? - 05/26/16 04:37 AM

I have never used the hi mountain mesquite blend, but of all the store bought and home made jerky seasoning recipes I have tried, the Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic was the favorite of all of them for venison. That included putting the trays of meat in the smoker for a short time using mesquite wood before going in the dehydrator so it did have the mesquite wood flavor. Looking at their website I never noticed before, they have a Wild Turkey Bourbon blend and a Wild Turkey Apple blend. As for the smoker I never thought to run the jerky through the smoker after the dehydrator as kmon1 does. I have always started it in the smoker. The Hi Mountain Bourbon Turkey seasoning is the one I am going to try followed by a very short trip to the smoker to taste after the dehydrator. And with pear wood that I have a whole bunch of that needs using thanks to a tornado last year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum