Texas Hunting Forum

Questions from a rookie turkey hunter

Posted By: Emmett

Questions from a rookie turkey hunter - 04/27/16 06:35 AM

I am new to turkey hunting, but not hunting. The only time I've really ever shot turkey was during deer season when they show up at the feeder, but now I have an annual lease and my nephew and I are taking full advantage of it, it's a new lease for us. We hunt a pecan orchard and we have seen turkey on the trail cameras. This orchard has not been hunted in quite a number of years:
--When do turkey usually start moving around in the morning and when do they normally roost.
--We have two decoys a Gobbler and a hen.
--We out there the past few days and haven't seen anything. We were calling with a mouth call and a slate with no replies.
--The property is new to the land owner but he has seen turkey out there during deer season when he was looking at the property to buy it.
--Since the property has not been hunted in years and the turkey are used to going there during pecan season is it just going to take then a while to realize there is corn year round in the feeders.

Any advice or tips a welcome. Thank you for any and all help.
Emmett
Posted By: Western

Re: Questions from a rookie turkey hunter - 04/27/16 12:12 PM

Just my opinion from what I have seen over 35 years.

I have seen them come off the roost as early as 10 minutes before technical daylight, like you can only see well 50 yards or so. Usually start to roost in late evening, say 30 minutes to dark. Some things to remember., If there was severe weather over night, they may already be on the ground (blown out). Often in Spring, Toms will gobble from the roost to get feedback location from a hen, then will fly as close as possible to her (why I am out set up before daylight) I have had them land with-in 10 yards before. Common when there is strong competition.

I like decoys, only have been using them for about 10 years, but still have taken more tom's without one. In many situations I think they can make the difference.

Being new property, you may try hunting the edges of the pecan orchard, they turkey seen, may winter there more than hang out during Spring. If it is in a bottom, or low area, might try finding openings on a hill, or elevated terrain. Rio's can and will cover a lot of acreage in a day.

As far as calling, 9/10 times, less is more. One thing you can do effectively with a mouth call, is add emotion to the sound, making a "I'm lost! save me" yelp, can often pull in the hens with tom in tow, or will get a tom to commit when he really doesn't want too. Hard to explain on a keyboard, but think how you would sound if this happened..
1 Your small child falls down and gets hurt, you rush over and say something like "Oh you poor baby, come to daddy"..
2 Your small child disobeys you, "come here right now young man!" Of the 2, which would motivate you to "go" in the same situation.

Half the fun is figuring them out, so you and the nephew are already into enjoying the fun, when it happens, it will become an addiction.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Questions from a rookie turkey hunter - 04/27/16 01:43 PM

Turkeys typically have a spring and winter range where they hang out. You could well be trying to hunt spring turkeys in their winter range.

Get to the highest point on your lease well before daylight and listen for gobbling. If they are there, you will hear them. Some travel a good distance during the day, so don't give up if they are not on your property at daylight. Move in as close as you can and try calling them to you.

Gman
Posted By: Emmett

Re: Questions from a rookie turkey hunter - 04/27/16 07:20 PM

Thank you Western & Gamblinman y'all have given me some very good and useful information. I am planing on going back up there in a week or two. I am hunting outside of Comanche.
Appreciate any and all info.
Emmett
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum