Texas Hunting Forum

Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos.

Posted By: Mad Max

Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/08/16 08:05 PM

I have two hunting leases, one in Blanco Co, the other in Milam. As expected, there's usually a decent number of turkeys on the Blanco property, but I have yet to see/hear one in Milam over several years. I-35/Balcones fault seems to be a big divide for Rio Grande turkey abundance.

Has anyone here come across good flocks of turkey in any of the counties east of I-35 Austin area, i.e. in Williamson, Granger, Milam, or Bastrop counties? Has there ever been a good turkey population in this part of the state? I could never figure out why Rio Grandes almost stop at the I-35 line, seems like if they're happy eating live oak acorns in the Hill country, they'd be just as happy eating post oak acorns to the east. Supposedly there are fewer deer east of I-35 as well, hence the antler restrictions and stricter limits, but in my experience there really isn't any shortage of post oak savanna deer, unlike the turkeys.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/08/16 09:53 PM

Bastrop county has a decent population of birds. Seems like the areas east and further south have more birds than north and further east. I know the Seguin area has plenty of turkey for instance.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/08/16 10:38 PM

I don't turkey hunt, but there are a bunch of turkey around Granger Lake area. I have seen them in Willis Creek park, well in all the parks. And in good numbers.

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/08/16 11:54 PM

I suppose that my Milam Co. lease must just be in an unlucky area.

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/08/16 11:55 PM

Quote:
Bastrop county has a decent population of birds

Rio Grandes or Easterns?
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/09/16 12:00 AM

Rios
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Turkeys in Williamson, Granger, and Milam Cos. - 04/09/16 05:31 PM

Very few turkey in Milam County
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum