Texas Hunting Forum

Newby Needing help

Posted By: FoxTrot

Newby Needing help - 04/06/16 06:51 PM

I have never turkey hunted in my life. Ive been thinking about giving a whirl for a while.

I was at the lease yesterday to fill my feeder on my lunch break and I saw several gobblers, 2 jakes and a hen. One tom had a beard dragging the ground as he was chasing a hen around the field. I sat in my truck and watched them with binos for a while. It was quite the sight.

Im thinking about giving it a whirl tomorrow and Friday morning. I can say that I know how to use a mouth call. Ive been tinkering with one for a while and also a box call. I think I have calling down or at least how to use one.

So, here are my questions...
My place has a lot of pasture and smaller amounts of woods. It seems to hold turkeys really well in the areas near the feeders.
Where should I set up? Im thinking in a woodline with decoy in open?
How many decoys and what types? Toms? Jakes? Hens?
What calls should I make? and how often?

I wont be able to get there early and find their roost however I have a really good idea of where they roost. I see them coming down from roost in deer season and it is always in the same area. What trees we have are mainly cedar. We do have one oak thicket and that is where they always roost during deer season.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Newby Needing help - 04/06/16 07:07 PM

I also have a knight and hale push button call that I've been playing with for a couple of days
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Newby Needing help - 04/06/16 08:25 PM

I shot my first one last weekend. Was in a popup, about 20-25 yds from the feeder, 2 Avian X Decoys (Tom/Hen). I used a box call, did some calling, mostly just purring I guess you'd call it, small drags on the call. I even "oinked" by mouth one time and got 'em to gobble. I take it to be just like duck hunting, more calling does not equal good calling. Less is often times better.

I've heard not to setup by the roost... go where the traffic is, if that's by your feeder, go there.

Good luck, have fun!

Charlie
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Newby Needing help - 04/07/16 05:32 AM

Give me a call and we can chat turkeys pm me for number.
Posted By: RightTurnTaxidermy

Re: Newby Needing help - 04/07/16 01:23 PM

You will be hooked once you et you first one! I finally got my buddy his first one last sunday!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum