Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County

Posted By: bcoglegolf

Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/17/16 04:18 PM

I was just wondering what the activity is like in the Breckenridge Area in Stephens County?

Anybody seeing or hearing any Gobblers as of yet?

I have not been to the lease as of yet and was just curious....Many Thanks,
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/17/16 05:14 PM

Not super close to you, but I was in Hamilton/Coryell county this past weekend and there was lots of activity Sunday morning after the rain cleared out on Saturday. Saw several driving around which is not all that common in the fall on our lease. They were pretty loud from about 8-10am non stop. When I start seeing them while driving the ranch, I know season is close..

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/17/16 07:21 PM

Thank you for the update Stevarino!!

Sounds good:0
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/17/16 07:41 PM

Boy, they are really busy/noisy starting today in SE Ok....called in 2 toms this am.
okiehuntr
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/17/16 09:30 PM

Heard 3 different Gobblers w/some hens on the Roost at Daylight on our lease (Woodson) on Mar.5th. Pulled the cards on the cameras and they have been hitting the feeders since Late Feb. Hope this helps....
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/18/16 12:58 AM

Early spring this year pretty much has them hot everywhere right now.
Posted By: Western

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/18/16 12:44 PM

Same as last year, seeing single hens here already this week. Haven't heard one gobble for sure, but there has been some construction in the area near where a roost was, so....

BTW, I don't have many Turkey here on the place, but they pass through, hens mostly looking for nesting. See them more in the Fall and winter here in the heavier woods, which makes it tough pulling a tom through the woods. Find it much easier pulling Easterns into woods.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/20/16 04:00 PM

Am in far south Stephens county. Lots of gobbling going on. Our turkey population is huge though, not uncommon in the fall to see 50+ birds at a time

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/20/16 05:52 PM

Thanks Halfadozen for the update....

Is this going to be a good year for mature Toms that you are noticing? I would think that there would be more mature birds than 2-3 year olds and Jakes due to the good hatches in 2010,11 and I think 2012 too...and all the Spring Rain should help as well.

You must be in Eastland or even South of that.

Thanks for any advice or updates!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/20/16 09:18 PM

I am north in Young county. Friday across our lease I saw three different groups of hens with mature gobblers working them. And heard two more different birds gobbling in our creek bottom during the day. Birds are hitting our small food plots as well. Saturday morning I also saw one single hen along the edge of one of our fields. Should be a good opening day for us.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Anybody seeing or hearing Gobblers yet - Stephens County - 03/20/16 11:53 PM

This morning I sat on a hill where I could see a long way. It was 34 degrees in Hamilton Co and heard some birds early off roost. About 8:00 I saw toms strutting in the usual areas. I pulled my game cam sd cards and had a lot of birds still in groups but did get a pic of o tom breeding a hen.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum