Texas Hunting Forum

Plug question?

Posted By: mikey2

Plug question? - 02/27/16 05:06 PM

I've always turkey hunted with a plug but recently removed it for calling coyotes. Just was wondering you only need a plug for migratory fowl correct? So legally do you need one to turkey hunt?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Plug question? - 02/27/16 06:41 PM

Not in TX. Some states do require a reduced magazine capacity though.

Gman
Posted By: rickym

Re: Plug question? - 02/27/16 07:00 PM

If your Turkey hunting it shouldn't matter. You should only need one shot unless your shooting a .410 and miss by a little.
Posted By: LittleD

Re: Plug question? - 02/27/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
If your Turkey hunting it shouldn't matter. You should only need one shot unless your shooting a .410 and miss by a little.
And what if you miss by a lot with a 12 gauge or 20 ga. and what if you have more than one turkey come in and you want to kill them both.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Plug question? - 02/29/16 09:33 PM

No plug needed for non-migratory game birds. I'd leave it in though. May lose it o forget to re-install before dove season.

Re: Plug question? - 02/29/16 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleD
And what if you miss by a lot with a 12 gauge or 20 ga. and what if you have more than one turkey come in and you want to kill them both.

I'm sorry, but for me personally there's not much of an excuse for missing an animal that large at such close distance with a scatter gun. If you do miss it's probably because you haven't spent enough time shooting the gun, either not testing enough different loads to know how your shot is going to fly, or just not being adequately comfortable with the firearm which would indicate you likely have no idea how the shot is going to fly at different distances.
I know I differ from many others but I don't care to harvest more than one animal at a time unless it's a non-game/nuisance animal.

To each, their own

Re: Plug question? - 02/29/16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleD

I'm sorry, but for me personally there's not much of an excuse for missing an animal that large at such close distance with a scatter gun. If you do miss it's probably because you haven't spent enough time shooting the gun, either not testing enough different loads to know how your shot is going to fly, or just not being adequately comfortable with the firearm which would indicate you likely have no idea how the shot is going to fly at different distances.
I know I differ from many others but I don't care to harvest more than one animal at a time unless it's a non-game/nuisance animal.

o each, their own
With that being said. I will assume that you have never missed ever anything ever. Lots of good turkey hunters have missed.

Re: Plug question? - 03/01/16 02:33 AM

I've missed, I think a man who says he never misses couldn't be trusted. I'm not saying I don't have an extra round or two loaded when I hunt. I spoke my belief and gave my answer to a certain situation. If I miss I'll load another round and shoot if I have a good shot. I don't think there is a need to have that many extra rounds when Turkey hunting though.

Re: Plug question? - 03/02/16 12:42 AM

I've missed, I think a man who says he never misses couldn't be trusted. I'm not saying I don't have an extra round or two loaded when I hunt. I spoke my belief and gave my answer to a certain situation. If I miss I'll load another round and shoot if I have a good shot. I don't think there is a need to have that many extra rounds when Turkey hunting though.
I can agree with that Statement. Good Luck to you this Spring.

Re: Plug question? - 03/02/16 12:51 AM

Same to you bud. Mikey2 I hope you got your answer out of this. Good luck to you as well up
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Plug question? - 03/02/16 01:00 AM

Many times there will be more than one gobbler in the group. You might miss but you may kill three with one shot even tough not intentional.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Plug question? - 03/02/16 02:10 AM

I like 5 shots out of my 10 gauge, 3 1/2" magnum shooting #2 shot. If I hear a rustling in the bushes and see movement but cant really see the target, I can spray the whole area and get whatever is there !!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Plug question? - 03/02/16 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
I like 5 shots out of my 10 gauge, 3 1/2" magnum shooting #2 shot. If I hear a rustling in the bushes and see movement but cant really see the target, I can spray the whole area and get whatever is there !!

For once, I hope this is a troll, and not someone actually out in the woods doing something like this. Why would anyone do something so irresponsible?

Gman
Posted By: mikey2

Re: Plug question? - 03/03/16 03:11 AM

My main reason for the question is a little more weight I know its not much but every little bit helps those
3 1/2 are great but dang they pack a punch on both ends. Didn't mean to start anything.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Plug question? - 03/12/16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum