Texas Hunting Forum

decoy question

Posted By: diablodog

decoy question - 02/10/16 05:22 PM

I have never used any . My birds will break up right around the start of the season . I have always had good luck calling in big toms . What decoy would be best ? Hen , jake , tom ? How , where and why ? Thanks .
Posted By: LittleD

Re: decoy question - 02/11/16 12:40 AM

I like to use a hen and Jake decoy, open areas are the best to use them in such as Gas lines roads or fields. Place them about 20 yards away from your set up so when a bird comes in he will be able to spot them ,I try to face them in opposite way from where the bird is coming from and will place my Jake to look like it is following the hen.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: decoy question - 02/11/16 10:03 PM

I always put decoys facing me so that when the gobbler comes in he is facing the decoys giving me the best shot.
Posted By: rickym

Re: decoy question - 02/11/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
I always put decoys facing me so that when the gobbler comes in he is facing the decoys giving me the best shot.

You must have to replace a lot of decoys
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: decoy question - 02/12/16 05:08 AM

Been doing it several years and have not had to replace any yet, just offering a suggestion that has worked for me.
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: decoy question - 02/12/16 05:58 AM

Avian x hen - and a b-mobile strutter with real feathers = game over
Posted By: Adam Cook

Re: decoy question - 02/12/16 08:09 PM

I have had great luck with the Primos Jake Mobile with a real fan. I
have had great success with it in MO, NE, and TX.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: decoy question - 02/15/16 12:49 AM

I like using two hens and one jake. I tried a strutting tom once and the turkeys stayed away. But once I moved him it was on again.
Posted By: Lipan Creep

Re: decoy question - 02/16/16 06:40 PM

If you are hunting an area with a lot of hens, the strutting tom will not work. But a jake decoy with two hens will always work.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: decoy question - 02/17/16 03:51 PM

Depends on the situation, but I always have one in my pack. I like to at least have a hen out if I have time and can get her out without being seeing. The bird is coming in looking for who's doing the calling. I like for his attention to be focused on the decoy and not trying to find the bird doing the calling.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: decoy question - 02/17/16 04:54 PM

Something that I have found that works well, especially with large flocks in early season ...I use multiple decoys. I place one or two decoys just inside the tree or brush line, where their outline can be seen, and the rest on the edge of the open area to make it look like the birds are leaving the field (faced towards the brush) I like to put the strutting tom in the trees or brush and hens leading into the trees or brush. When the gobbler enters the field and sees the decoys, he usually comes on a dead run.
I only use this when I'm able to access the area with my cart, since trying to carry multiple full bodied decoys is almost impossible I do use a full bodied goose decoy bag, but its heavy and cumbersome to carry in and out of the field. Full bodied decoys work very well for this scenario, but I can guarantee any decoy will work the same.

Just something I tried and find that works on tough birds.

Gman
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: decoy question - 02/21/16 08:38 PM

Have any of y'all checked out Deception decoys? Man alive those things are toooo real! Made by Deception outdoors. I have always used the Primos B-mobile but I have made the switch! Things are awesome.
Posted By: Mrs. Mahan

Re: decoy question - 02/27/16 08:06 PM

I use a jake and a couple hens. Spread out, not too close together. And not directly in front of me. I also hunt for turkey out of a pop up blind for better camouflage.

Here's a short article on Spring Turkey Hunting with Decoys
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum